    im looking for an external USB DVD writer for my Powerbook G4 DVI
    800MHZ

    any recommendations ?

    planb, Apr 27, 2007

  2. planb

    Daniel Cohen Guest

    So where are you, USA, UK, elsewhere?

    Are you sure you don't want a combined USB/Firewire?

    Buying a bare drive and a separate enclosure is quite a good way to go,
    and they are extremely easy to fit.

    If you went that route, the Pioneer drives are well regarded, probably
    the 112 or 112D. I can suggest an enclosure once I know where you are.

    Daniel Cohen, Apr 27, 2007

  3. Your PowerBook only has USB 1.1 ports, which run at 12 megabits per
    second. These would allow at best standard (i.e. 1x) DVD reading or
    writing. You could add USB 2.0 ports (480 Mbit/s) via a PC Card, but you
    already have built-in FireWire ports which run at 400 Mbit/s.

    As others have suggested a FireWire drive would be a better choice. If
    you also want to use it with other computers which only have USB then
    get a drive with both interfaces.

    Roger Johnstone, Apr 28, 2007