External video outputs and 2008's airplane adapter and car powerplugs for a 13.3" MacBook Pro (A1278

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, Sep 20, 2012.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    My client and I have a few newbie questions about external connections
    with his brand new 13.3" MacBook Pro (A1278).

    1. Is a 2008's white airplane adapter and car power plugs fully
    compatible and safe to use for this new MacBook Pro? They are from Apple
    and made in China, and were used on an old 15" MacBook Pro from 2008.
    There are no other details like model numbers, labels, etc. :( If not,
    then which one is recommended to get for traveling around the world?

    2. If I am reading correctly, this MBP model uses Thunderbolt port for
    external display like to HDTVs, projectors, etc. What is the best
    portable monitor hook up adapter to use for all kinds of displays (very
    old VGA, composite cables, etc.) to the latest/newest [HDMI?]? Do
    combined bundled exist? I noticed at my employer's conference rooms,
    they had combination types wrapped.

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "Yeah, what's left of it. I was in the militia -- national guard...
    That's good! Wasn't any war any more than there's war between men and

    Ant, Sep 20, 2012

  2. Ant

    Guest Guest

    the apple magsafe airline adapter has a standard magsafe plug, so it
    will connect to any macbook with standard magsafe (including the one
    you mention) but it will need an adapter for the mabook pro with
    retina, since that has magsafe ii.

    keep in mind that it does not work in cars and barely works in
    airplanes. it stupidly is designed to only run the macbook, not charge
    it, except it does not provide enough power to do even that, so the
    macbook will slowly discharge even though it's plugged in.

    a much better solution is get a chinese knock-off magsafe airplane/car
    adapter, which not only costs less than the apple one, but does more,
    such as charge the laptop as well as work in cars.
    what interface do they want to use? get an adapter for that.

    Guest, Sep 20, 2012

  3. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    [Ant - please note that "comp.sys.mac.portable" is also an invalid
    newsgroup. The correct name is "comp.sys.mac.portables", with an 's'.]

    Yes. Every power adapter with a MagSafe plug works with every Mac model
    which uses that connector. Some combinations are less useful than
    others.

    The MacBook Air has a 45W power adapter, 13" MacBook Pro is 65W, and 15"
    MacBook Pro is 85W.

    The power adpater's rating is a maximum, and the computer will never try
    to draw more power than the rating of the adapter. It may draw less, and
    usually does.

    If you use a higher rated MagSafe power adapter on a Mac which usually
    operates with a lower rated adapter, the computer may draw more power in
    order to charge the battery faster, if it thinks it is safe to do so,
    otherwise it will make no difference.

    If you use a lower rated MagSafe power adapter on a Mac which usually
    operates with a higher rated adapter, the computer may need to draw on
    battery power in order to supplement the power adapter while it is
    working hard, or it may charge the battery slower than normal, or be
    unable to charge the battery at all while the computer is awake.

    The Airplane adapter has a relatively low power rating (probably less
    than 65W), and also has an explicit rule that the battery is not allowed
    to be charged while using that adapter. The computer will operate but
    either slowly discharge the battery as needed, or leave it at its
    previous charge.

    The Car adapter probably behaves like a standard power adapter, at a
    particular power rating, but I don't know offhand what that rating is.
    The Thunderbolt port is compatible with Mini DisplayPort.

    Apple makes Mini DisplayPort adapters for VGA and DVI. There are
    single-link and dual-link variants of the DVI adapter. The dual-link one
    supports higher resolutions up to 2560x1600, but is much more expensive
    and ties up a USB port. The single-link adapater is limited to about
    1920x1200. To get audio with either of these, you would need a separate
    3.5 mm to dual RCA cable, or some other solution.

    There are third party Mini DisplayPort adapters which go directly to
    HDMI (some of which are available from the online Apple Store). If you
    get one of these, make sure you get one which says it supports audio
    output, as older ones only passed video through.

    You can get third party cables which convert Mini DisplayPort to the
    standard DisplayPort connector.

    I'm not aware of any commonly available and relatively cheap way to
    drive composite, S-Video or component video directly from Mini
    DisplayPort. There is no support in the computer to generate interlaced
    video or the other details of television-compatible video formats, so
    you need a video converter/generator box of some kind.

    I'm also not aware of an adapter which provides multiple connectors of
    different types. That may be tricky, because the computer has to
    generate a differently encoded video signal depending to the type of
    adapter connected, and the adapter typically has some conversion or
    processing circuitry (e.g. the VGA adapter will be doing D-A
    conversion).

    David Empson, Sep 20, 2012
  4. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    If it's a Magsafe connector and the wattage matches you are good to go.
    If the wattage is low, it will take longer to charger the computer.
    DVI and HDMI are digital, VGA is analog. A VGA adaptor would just do
    VGA. For DVI or HDMI you would use a MDP -> HDMI or MDP -> DVI adapter.

    Lewis, Sep 20, 2012
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Is A1278 model, a Retina? I don't see anything on it mentions it. It
    does mentions LED back-lit glossy screen. I think this is an older model?

    All of them. So, there's no bundled package?
    --
    "It is certain that there may be extraordinary mental activity with an
    extremely small absolute mass of nervous matter: thus the wonderfully

    Ant, Sep 20, 2012
  6. Ant

    Ant Guest

    How does one know this old adapter and power plugs' wattages? It has no
    labels, texts, etc. Yes, the connector fits like the old MacBook Pro
    from 2008.

    Sheesh, so many. So I have to get separate video cable adapter for each
    one? Is there a bundled one? :(
    --
    "Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I shall be food for
    mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the other?" --Juang-zu (4th

    Ant, Sep 20, 2012
  7. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Invalid? Then, why does Giganews carry it?

    Thank you for the detailed reply/response. Sheesh, so many different
    video types!! I think he will have to get all adapter types from old
    VGA, DVI, etc. to the latest HMDI, DisplayPorts, etc. :(
    --
    "Many ants kill a camel." --Turkish
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Sep 20, 2012
  8. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    If it's Apple made it will list the input and output voltage and amps.
    If it's not, then I don't know. You'll just have to try it and see how
    fast it can charge your new computer.

    Do you need to connect to VGA and HDMI and DVI? I think you are out of
    luck on the composite anyway, and if not it would be prohibitively expensive.
    I doubt it. Most people only need one, if that.

    Lewis, Sep 20, 2012
  9. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Yes, because that is an FAA requirement.
    Not that I know of.

    I've only ever used a MDP -> DVI and an MDP -> HDMI. I would not use a
    VGA one, and it's been a long time since I saw a projector that only had
    VGA.

    Lewis, Sep 20, 2012
  10. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    Because Giganews is not paying attention to the official list of
    newsgroups in the "big 8" categories.

    At some point, someone created that group without going through the
    official voting process (possibly someone just typed it in wrong when
    creating groups on their server), and it propagated to a few other
    servers (including Giganews, if it wasn't the origin). That group is not
    widely distributed, because many news server follow the official list of
    groups and don't carry unofficial ones in the comp category (and other
    cateogries in the "big 8"). This means posts to those groups have a
    smaller potential audience.
    I bought a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, but I haven't needed
    to use it yet. Your mileage may vary. I also have the VGA, single-link
    DVI and a third party HDMI adapter. I've used the VGA one most often.

    The dual-link DVI adapter is probably the least likely to be useful (and
    is the most expensive), unless there is likely to be a need for using
    27" or larger computer monitors with resolutions higher than 1920x1200.

    David Empson, Sep 20, 2012
  11. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    No. You have a 13" late 2011 MacBook Pro (assuming your friend bought
    the one which was discussed a while ago in another thread). The only
    MacBook Pro model so far with a retina display (and MagSafe 2 connector)
    is 15" and was introduced in mid 2012.

    Incidentally, that model number is not very helpful because it doesn't
    uniquely identify the Mac generation. Apple reuses the A-series numbers
    as long as the body design doesn't change, even if there are major
    changes internally. "A1278" could be any 13" MacBook Pro (spanning five
    generations from mid 2009 to mid 2012).

    If the Mac is running Lion or later, its model name is shown by going to
    About This Mac and clicking More Info (showing the name may require an
    Internet connection).

    A little more detective work is required to identify the model name
    under earlier OS versions. The same method gets you to System Profiler,
    and there is a "Model Identifier" code which comes close to identifying
    the specific generation. In recent years it takes the general form of a
    family name followed by two numbers, with a comma between the numbers,
    e.g. "MacBookPro8,1". This can be looked up in online databases or using
    MacTracker to identify the model.

    Sometimes Apple releases a revised model without changing the model
    identifier (if the architecture is the same and it is just component
    updates such as a faster CPU in the same family, bigger hard drive, and
    sometimes a different graphics controller). In these cases it may be
    necessary to look at other characteristics which were unique to one
    generation, or to look at the serial number and decode it far enough to
    extract the date of manufacture.
    No.

    David Empson, Sep 20, 2012
  12. Ant

    Guest Guest

    you don't.

    if apple made it, then it does not provide sufficient power to run the
    macbook (nevermind the charging issue).

    if you already have one, sell it on ebay and buy a chinese knock-off
    airline/auto adapter that actually works. apple refuses to license
    magsafe, so that's your only option.

    Guest, Sep 20, 2012
  13. Ant

    Guest Guest

    apple's airline adapter does not list either one.

    given that it only works on airplanes, the input voltage is 15v.
    the airline adapter does not charge the computer at all.

    Guest, Sep 20, 2012
  14. Ant

    Guest Guest

    the 13" macbook pro is not retina (yet).

    the retina macbook pro is 15", alongside the standard macbook pro 15"

    Guest, Sep 20, 2012
  15. Ant

    Guest Guest

    nonsense. there is no such requirement. where in the world did you get
    that ridiculous idea? more idiocy from you.

    not charging is an incredibly stupid and arbitrary design decision made
    by people at apple who do not fly, and since the adapter won't work in
    a car, they don't drive either.

    if there was such a requirement, then airplanes would not be installing
    power ports, nor would other computer makers as well as third parties
    would be selling airline adapters that charge.

    apple's magsafe airline adapter is the *only* adapter that does not
    charge.

    there is *no* faa requirement that bans charging portable electronic
    devices on planes. period.

    Guest, Sep 20, 2012
  16. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Sep 20, 2012
  17. Ant

    Guest Guest

    there is no car adapter from apple. they make an *airline* adapter. it
    will not work in cars. period.

    there are third party knock-off magsafe adapters that will work in
    cars, but since apple doesn't license the magsafe plug, apple can (and
    has in some cases) blocked the sale of them.

    to get around that, one company has you send in your existing magsafe
    adapter, and he uses *that* magsafe plug for his airline adapter. he
    adds plugs so you can switch back to the ac adapter. as you can
    imagine, this is not cheap, since you have to buy a normal adapter
    *and* pay for his conversion.
    what part of it does not work in a car do you not understand?

    the input voltage is 15v. period. it only works in airplanes (for some
    definition of 'work').
    not allowed by whom???

    how is it that *every* other power adapter charges the battery on a
    plane, namely for windows laptops? how is it that iphones, ipods and
    ipads will charge with an apple authorized car adapter?

    on some planes, there are 110vac outlets and you can plug in your
    normal ac adapter and charge the battery, or whatever else you have.

    the plug for the powerbook was not locked down like magsafe is, so
    there were plenty of third party airline adapters, *all* of which
    charged the powerbook.

    one again, you have *no* idea what you're talking about.

    apple screwed up on their airline adapter. it's that simple.

    Guest, Sep 20, 2012
  18. Ant

    Ant Guest

    [Ant - please note that "comp.sys.mac.portable" is also an invalid
    Ah. Is there a way to know which one is the official? Giganews has SO
    many.

    Thanks. :)
    --
    Quote of the Week: "Every ruler sleeps on an anthill." --Afghani
    | |o o| |

    Ant, Sep 21, 2012
  19. Ant

    Ant Guest

    My client and I have a few newbie questions about external connections
    Oh. What's the best way to describe a Mac then without showing the
    serial number?

    It's definitely Lion (10.7.1 or something).

    I noticed the box label said 6/2012. I assume that was the manufacture
    date (three months old).

    Ah OK. Thanks. :)

    Ant, Sep 21, 2012
  20. Ant

    David Empson Guest

    Not in any obvious way. You could go hunting down the official list of
    approved newsgroups in the big 8 categories, but my first attempt to
    Google for it didn't find anything except some very out of date sites
    claiming some kind of authority. I haven't been paying enough attention
    in recent years to know where the actual list could be found, but it
    used to be at least mentioned in news.groups and its subgroups such as
    news.groups.announce and new.groups.proposals.

    The most active Mac groups are comp.sys.mac.system (for system software
    but it tends to get used for miscellaneous discussions as well) and
    comp.sys.mac.apps (for applications).

    These groups I'm subscribed to get traffic less often:
    comp.sys.mac.comm, comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,
    comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage, comp.sys.mac.hardware.video,
    comp.sys.mac.misc, comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.printing.

    There are several comp.sys.mac.programmer subgroups which sometimes get
    used, but most of the programmers have moved to other forums.

    These seem pretty much dead: comp.sys.mac.databases,
    comp.sys.mac.graphics.

    Then there is comp.sys.mac.advocacy, which is not for the faint hearted
    and should be kept well away from the other groups. It is mostly used by
    anti-Apple and pro-Apple zealots to argue amongst themselves and hurl
    personal abuse, but I glance at it occasionally and sometimes contribute
    in hopefully useful ways, such as answering genuine questions or filling
    in gaps.

    I'm sure there are a few more Mac groups I didn't bother reading.

    David Empson, Sep 21, 2012