[F] 8RDA3+ & AMD XP 2500+ Barton freeze (again)

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Gerald Nass, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Gerald Nass

    Gerald Nass Guest

    Hello,

    anyone else with problems running a AMD XP 2500+ Barton in a
    Epox 8RDA3+ mainboard?

    I've posted a few days ago my problem with freezes running
    a PC programm "Prime95" which produces 100% CPU load.

    My setup:

    Enermax 365W power supply
    AMD XP Athlon 2500+ Barton CPU
    Epox 8RDA3+ maimboard
    2 x 256MB RAM

    I've exchanged all parts ... the CPU, the memory, the power
    supply, the DVD-drive and the mainboard but the problem is
    still there.

    After a few seconds the PC freeze.

    Now I don't know where the problem can be since I've have
    changed all parts and tested all parts in a other PC.

    Also the mainboard was changed.

    The mainboard revision is Rev 1.1

    Does the mainboard have problems with a AMD 2500+ ?

    A friend runs a AMD XP 2800+ Barton on a 8RDA3+ without
    problems!

    Anyone out there running a AMD XP 2500+ Barton on a 8RDA3+ ?

    Thanks,

    Gerald

    Gerald Nass, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Gerald Nass

    John Guest

    When did you last do format C: and start with a clean version of Windows? If
    you are using an older version try getting rid of all recent updates and
    going back to drivers and software versions prior to the release of XP.
    John

    John, Aug 14, 2003

  3. Gerald Nass

    Gerald Nass Guest

    Hello John,

    I'm using Linux (Knoppic 3.2 bootable CD) and Prime95 for Linux. But with
    a Windows XP Professional installation and all driver installed it is the
    same problem. The Windows XP Professional installation is a new installation!

    CU,

    Gerald

    Gerald Nass, Aug 14, 2003
  4. Enermax 365W power supply
    ich habs doch schon mal geschrieben...manche 8rda3+ haben probleme mit
    barton 2500+...epox bestreitet es aber es ist eine tatsache.
    du hast das board ausgetauscht aber leider wieder eins mit dem problem
    erwischt...wenn du kein serial-ata brauchst dann nimm einfach den vorgänger
    8rda+ oder die leadtek oder asus-variante mit nforce2.

    gruß
    mark

    Mark.Schneider, Aug 16, 2003
  5. hm, 1h is very long...the error should occure much earlier...perhaps he has
    a working 8RDA3+ and the errors are caused by an other component.

    gruß
    mark

    Mark.Schneider, Aug 18, 2003
  6. Gerald Nass

    Gerald Nass Guest

    Hello,

    No, all other components (memory, CPU and graphics card) runs fine with
    the 8KRA2+ board.

    He has tried to rise the CPU core voltage and the Vdd voltage as suggested
    by the Epox support and know Prime95 runs for about 10 hours without
    reporting any errors.

    Seems there is somthing wrong withing the CPU core voltage regulator or
    somthing like this.

    The increase of the CPU core voltage and the Vdd voltage on my 8RDA3+
    board hasn't solved the problem.

    CU,

    Gerald

    Gerald Nass, Aug 18, 2003
  7. Not if it's intermittent .. my 8RDA+ spews out the odd sumout!=sumin
    error about once every 3 months .. problem seems to be lousy VCore
    regulation, since it got better (used to be more frequent) after I hiked
    Vcore by 0..025v. I just hiked it another .025v. 8>. MBM5 shows it
    wandering about by +/- .06V, which is just outside the AMD spec.

    GSV Three Minds in a Can, Aug 18, 2003
  8. Gerald Nass

    Dave Guest

    It's probably caused by your ram. You did not say what brand it was. Could
    it be generic? These boards are very picky about what ram they will work
    properly with.
    Dave

    Dave, Aug 19, 2003
  9. Gerald Nass

    Gerald Nass Guest

    Hello,

    No, the ram is Corsair 256MB PC400 XMS3200 which is one of the recommended
    ram listed on the Epox webside.

    I've returned the 8RDA3+ and replaced it with a 8KRA2+ with KT600 chipset.

    Now the PC runs fine. Prime95 runs for about >12 hours without reporting
    any errors. The memory, graphics card, cpu and all other components are
    still the same.

    CU,

    Gerald

    Gerald Nass, Aug 19, 2003