    Is that true of the F1A75-v Pro? I've run out of SATA ports and am
    wondering whether I can use an 8x SAS/SATA card in the 2nd 16x PCI slot.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, May 28, 2013

  2. Percival P. Cassidy

    Paul Guest

    I've seen various claims, that make no sense.

    The best thing to do, is track down reviews or articles, where
    another customer has tried a non-video card in the slot.

    On one system, initially the system would not work with non-video
    cards in the x16 slot. (Card not detected?) That system was fixed
    with a BIOS update.

    I've seen a second claim, for some Intel chipset motherboard,
    that the x16 slot runs x8 rate for non-video cards. Makes
    no sense. How would turning off half the lanes help ?

    The situation should be as transparent as PCI was.

    So all I can suggest, is find proof somewhere. vip.asus.com, newegg reviews,
    amazon reviews, enthusiast site reviews, and so on. See if someone
    stuck a RAID card in there.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=F1A75-V+PRO&SLanguage=en-us

    Paul

    Paul, May 28, 2013

  3. Percival P. Cassidy

    tumppiw Guest

    I have a F1A75-M pro. I don't know how they differ, size?

    My GFX-card (an Asus HD5670) blocks the x1 PCI-e slot, I had to put my
    "el cheapo" 2-port USB3 card in the other x16 slot and it works. (My
    case hasn't got USB3 ports to use the onboard connection, and the card
    was originally in my previus mobo, which lacked USB3)

    tumppiw, May 30, 2013
  4. I bought the card (an IBM Serveraid M1015, flashed to LSI IT mode), and
    it does work in the 1st 16x PCIe slot -- I forgot that I was using the
    on-board video, so both 16x slots were free. I didn't try it in the 2nd
    16x slot.

    Perce

    Percival P. Cassidy, Aug 2, 2013