Factory Mutual Approvable Sealed Lead Acid Battery

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Eric, Nov 11, 2005.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    This isn't a specific embedded or FPGA problem, but I'm hoping someone
    has some advise.

    Does anyone know of a 6V 12Ahr Sealed Lead Acid Battery that has been
    able to pass FM's or ATEX short circuit temp. rise test?

    I designed in a Diamec DM6-12, but when Factory Mutual was testing the
    short circuit temperature rise of the battery within a few seconds the
    battery becomes an open circuit and it has only raised 3 degrees C.
    (There must be some mechanical fuse-able link inside) So they can't
    actually test an internal cell short circuit fault from the outside of
    the battery.

    FM doesn't want to cut open the battery and actually test the internal
    cells for heath risks, which I understand.

    If you have any ideas on a new battery, that would help me out a lot.

    Thanks

    Eric

    Eric, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Eric

    Tim Wescott Guest

    Ask this question on sci.electronics.design -- it'll be seen by way more
    analog folks that way.

    I, alas, do not approach that level of expertise with batteries.

    Tim Wescott, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Eric

    Noway2 Guest

    Can you get some testing documentation from the battery company that
    certifies that it meets the requirements?

    I know that FM likes to do their own testing, but they may be willing
    to accept data that proves that it meets their requirments, especially
    if fault testing is hampered by a safety feature of the device and to
    bypass it would be dangerous.

    Noway2, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Eric

    larwe Guest

    Umm... did we try google "factory mutual sla battery"?

    Multiplier Industries Corp. - http://www.multiplier.com/
    Manufactures rechargeable Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, Li-Ion and Factory Mutual
    approved batteries custom packaged for the OEM.

    But there are plenty of SLAs available, also try Rocket (Global &
    Yuasa) and Casil (Chee Yuen) as I know these specific brands, among
    others, are used in FM-listed fire panels.

    larwe, Nov 11, 2005