    be causing the system to run in fail safe with that version? All is well,
    that much I know, it is a virtually new, good quality bespoke PC.

    Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

    Slitheen, May 12, 2006

  2. Slitheen wrote:

    | Motherboard: 'vanilla' AN8 (non SLI):
    |
    | Following the golden rule about only flashing the BIOS if there is
    | actually something wrong, or if there is a feature of the latest BIOS
    | that will improve things for you, I flashed my BIOS from BIOS 19
    | to the latest 20 version (for the CPU support update and for
    | improved USB device compatibility). However, when I flashed to
    | the new 20 version, on rebooting, I am told 'System is running in
    | Fail Safe state, recheck CMOS...' or word to that effect - leaving
    | me to have to press F1 to continue to boot/start-up every time. I
    | tried loading optimised defaults etc, it never worked, so I flashed
    | the BIOS back to the previous version (19) and all was back to
    | normal. Thing is, I really want the CPU support of the ver20 BIOS,
    | and the improved USB support - but only if it boots normally. Any
    | ideas what could be causing the system to run in fail safe with that
    | version? All is well, that much I know, it is a virtually new, good
    | quality bespoke PC.
    |
    | Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

    Did you manually clear your CMOS memory after the flash to version 20?

    This is often necessary because the CMOS memory addresses referenced from
    one BIOS version to the next won't match and the customizations you
    configure from one version to the next won't necessarily have the same
    values assigned if the new BIOS is pointing to a different memory location.

    This frequently happens when setup items are added or deleted from one BIOS
    version to the next. But it can happen anytime because the code tables,
    especially when additional CPU's are supported, etc., because the tables
    change in size.

    Flash to the new version, allow the BIOS to save then reboot (and give you
    the CMOS Checksum error once again). Press DEL at this point and then turn
    off your system. Remove power from the PSU then manually clear your CMOS
    using the CCMOS1 jumper on pins 2 and 3. Wait a few moments then replace
    CCMOS1 on pins 1 and 2. Restore power and start your system. You'll get
    another CMOS Checksum error (you run at Failsafe Defaults after clearing the
    CMOS) .. press DEL and reprogram your BIOS settings, starting with Load
    Optimized Defaults.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, May 12, 2006

  3. Slitheen