Falcon Northwest vs. Velocity Micro

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Star Gazer, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. Star  Gazer

    Star Gazer Guest

    For the lack of better terms - which one is "better"? I am mostly
    interested in personal experiences folks may have had with one/either
    of these fine systems. I now I could build one myself in theory - but I
    am not so confident in my abilities in practice to put together top
    notch gaming machine with optimum performance. So, for me it is down to
    these two names - FN I knew (and drooled over) for a LONG time.
    Velocity micro came into my focus a short while ago.

    Both seem worthwhile companies, that offer US assembly and US tech
    support services. Both got great reviews, etc. Price wise FN maybe like
    $50 more than VM for almost identical computers. I am not going for
    Mach V, btw on FN side - too expensive. Talon is more within my price
    range of 2k for a system (without monitor).

    One thing that makes me cautious towards VM is that I am beginning to
    see their boxes on display in Best Buy... I am afraid once they go
    mass-mass production, they will get like Alienware - used to be great,
    almost hand crafted boxes, now it is getting to be more like DELL/HP
    garbage - built in China, supported out of India, etc. I have DELL, and
    I have HP at home (woe is me), so no more of that junk :)

    So, please - anything you can offer on this subject would be greatly
    appreciated. These two companies seem so close

    Star Gazer, Jan 25, 2006

  2. Star  Gazer

    Guest

    I just bought a Velocity Raptorâ„¢ 64 DualX (AMD-FX 60 + 2 GTX 512).
    I must say I was a little disappointed (but not much):

    1. I did not ask the configuration to be overclocked ... but I sill
    attempted overclocking. Any attempt to do so even by 1% results in an
    immediate crash. I am not really concerned with not having the ability
    to overclock but I am worried the components that were put in my
    computer are close to specs because they reserve their better
    components for overclocking customers (I admit I might be
    misinterpreting the situation).
    2. The computer was delivered with one drive disconnected. The drive
    was part of a mirror raid array and I did not notice the fault
    immediately. They asked me to fix it myself when I realized I had to
    remove the two graphic cards, I decided to ask them to send a
    technician. They accept immediately but their guy took ten days to show
    up. Finally the problem was fixed but when the array was reconstructed
    .... all my data was lost - so much for redundancy!
    3. Final, this is just cosmetic but I was unimpressed by the set-up
    instruction that came with my computer. They are just a bunch of loose
    sheets printed on a poorly maintained inkjet printer.

    This being said they customer service is very reactive; I do realize
    that because my configuration comes with all very recent components, it
    is prone to bugs. I am confident that whatever problem shows up, they
    will help me with.

    , Feb 24, 2006