    or so fans in this computer. I have removed and cleaned all of them. When
    this problem first started, there was a forest of dust buildup inside
    especially around the cpu fans.

    jnwayn, Sep 24, 2008

  2. jnwayn

    Paul Guest

    Maybe the label reads "fan fail" ?

    Is this a prebuilt computer ? What make and model ?

    If it was home built, then maybe this fan thing is a separate
    subsystem or something. You'd have to shed some light on what
    is inside the box, to get more help. (Means taking the side
    off, and figuring out what is stuffed in the box.) Observing
    what the fans are wired to, is going to help you understand
    what is monitoring the fans.

    Motherboards sometimes use a SuperI/O chip that has a hardware
    monitor section, to keep track of fans. There can be three to
    five channels of fan monitoring. Each channel accepts as input,
    an RPM signal from the fan. The signal pulses twice per
    revolution. The signal is only available on three or four
    wire fans. Many case fans have only two wires, so no monitoring
    of those is normally possible. (The two wires carry +12V and GND,
    and two wires is just enough to power the fan and make it spin.
    RPM would be a third wire. PWM, or speed control, can be a
    fourth wire. Cheap fans have only the two wires.)

    Some server motherboards, can have more than one chip, and hence
    additional monitoring features.

    Once the ability to monitor RPMs is present, then it is up to
    some BIOS or software feature, to decide how slow is too slow.

    A more obscure feature, is a fan that has a locked rotor signal.
    Such a feature may make it marginally easier to report fan
    problems, as then no software is involved (that might make it
    easier to drive a fan fail light). But LR fans aren't typically
    used on computers.

    Paul

    Paul, Sep 24, 2008

  3. jnwayn

    RodgerD Guest

    Have I missed something? Could you give me the exact configuration you
    are using?

    Board:
    Board revision:
    Bios:
    Operating system:
    Memory (Exact Type, Chip-Nr., how many DIMMs and where they are
    inserted):
    PCI card(s): (exact)
    Hard Disks:
    Raid Level or SATA: