    nice if I could get 3000rpm out of my case fans.

    Cheers,

    Darth Joules

    Darth Joules, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Darth Joules

    Ben Pope Guest

    Unlikely... the fans are rated for 12V... now a speed controller COULD up
    the voltage, but I don't know of any that do, and even if they did, it would
    likely burn out the fan.

    If you want a fan that runs faster/shifts more air or runs quieter... buy a
    fan with that spec. The chances are that if your case fans can be replaced
    with a fan that is significantly improved in terms of air-shifting ability
    and/or noise production.
    I'm fairly sure fan controllers can only successfully reduce the speed of
    fans.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 7, 2003

  3. Darth Joules

    RD Guest

    Hi Ben,
    I've yet to see one[comercial] that does other than 5v and 12v dc:) And
    even a jury rig would have to
    work off the mains supply to get better than 12v methinks:) Anyways since
    heat is the killer, pushing a
    fan to the point of burnout is counterproductive.. I lost 4 cpu's to a
    heatsink fan that ran only when I was
    looking at the damm thing:-(

    I've got a couple of 220v ac fans kicking around, but they are a non
    standard size and make a noise you
    wouldnt believe:-/ Even the smaller ones are far noisier than the 60 to 80mm
    5 & 12v fans, the big ones
    are 120mm+ from an old drs600 mini computer and when we couldnt find any
    ordinary fans a couple
    of years ago during a hot spell I ran those for room cooling:) But the din
    was incredible..

    If I were the original poster I'd go with your advice:)

    Cheers,
    RD

    RD, Dec 7, 2003
  4. Darth Joules

    Ben Pope Guest

    A DC-DC convertor with a charge pump can up the voltage.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Darth Joules

    RD Guest

    Hi Ben,
    Yeah, but they aint exactly what one has lying around usually:)

    I suppose one could wire one up using spare capacitors in a
    ladder array.. but its a bit tricky, bit like trying to work out
    the impedance of a tank circuit:)

    But transformers are 2 a penny from most scrap kit as are
    bridge rectifiers:) including from the likes of old psu's,
    speaking of which do you ever miss the old type psu that
    when you switched the thing on it actually came online,
    without having to be connected to a mobo? Modern psu's
    are a pain if you want to install a 2nd one just for HDD's:-/

    Cheers,
    RD

    RD, Dec 8, 2003