    Thanks Jeff

    Basic amd 1700+ not o/c
    512 meg ram

    Jeff burrell, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Jeff burrell

    jeffc Guest

    I'd replace the fan - probably around $7.

    jeffc, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Jeff burrell

    John Lewis Guest

    Use some Triflow teflon lubricant ( Sherwin-Williams Co.).
    Works wonders on noisy fans --- if the bearing wear has not
    gone too far. If it does not work, replace the fan.........
    In any case, throw away your WD-40 and oil-lubricants -
    both get gummy with time.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Jeff burrell

    jeffc Guest

    I think they also sell little cans of that in bicycle shops.

    jeffc, Nov 22, 2003
  5. Jeff burrell

    Joe Hayes Guest

    Just use it without the fan connected. It will run just fine and not
    overheat.

    Joe Hayes, Nov 22, 2003
  6. Jeff burrell

    John Lewis Guest

    That is where I got mine................
    Have used it on noisy PC fans for a very long time,
    at least 10 years. Wonderful stuff. ( Unfortunately, it
    does not quieten down squeaky wives, girlfriends,
    or domestic partners..............)

    Nothing like it for lasting effect............However,
    if you begin to hear fan noise, don't delay applying
    the lubricant, to minimise bearing wear. Triflow
    does not replace worn metal............. !!

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 22, 2003
  7. Jeff burrell

    John Lewis Guest

    That is dangerous advice without any knowledge of the ambient
    temperature and efficiency of the case air-flow at the component-side
    of the video-card OP's PC. Remember that in a tower-case, the video
    card is component-side down. Stagnant air-flow at the GPU may cause
    thermal damage to the part; as the hot-air from the heat-sink rises
    and surrounds the part, trapped from rising further by the video-card
    ECB.

    However, I have glued an auxiliary 12V fan to the edge of a video
    card with the air-flow directed over the GPU heat-sink and memory
    and used a 4-pin adapter to hook the fan up with the HD power
    cables. No need for a power-adapter if the MB has unused fan
    power-plugs. Should work just fine after removal of the original
    GPU fan. New fan cost ~ $5........... I used toothpicks glued to
    both board and fan to provide the mechanical support. Use
    non-conductive glue, of course !!

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 22, 2003
  8. Jeff burrell

    Joe Hayes Guest

    Not really. I've used numerous nVidia cards from 440 MX to 5600 over the
    years from eVGA, Visiontek, BFG, PNY all with the fan disconnected and I've
    never once had an overheat, even with overclocking enabled. Of course this
    is at normal room temperatures, not Saharan desert conditions, but I assume
    the original poster isn't out in Africa somewhere. The heatsink fan is more
    for upscale marketing than cooling. Clearly a passive heatsink is adequate.
    The only card I've found thus far which overheats without the fan connected
    is the 5700 Ultra. It starts stuttering and eventually locks up. This is
    one hot chip because you can feel it. :)

    Joe Hayes, Nov 22, 2003
  9. Jeff burrell

    John Lewis Guest

    You may want to look under the thread "Got a replacement PNY card"
    at Paul Brown's posting. A friend of his had a PNY Ti4200 fail because
    the fan had quit previously... he did not mention anything about the
    PC being in the middle of the Sahara.

    And the power-consumption of the high-end GPUs in both the Ati
    and nVidia range is 60-70 watts max. About the same as a P4-2.6c !!
    I have not seen any P4s recently without a substantial heat-sink
    and mandatory fan..............

    nVidia should have hired you as thermal consultant on the FX5800.
    There would have been no vacuum-cleaner-sound complaints; the
    complaints might have centered instead on fried lumps of very
    expensive silicon............

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 23, 2003
  10. Jeff burrell

    jeffc Guest

    Oh really? It's interesting that the manufacturer would go to the trouble
    of wasting their money on a fan. Maybe it's just eye candy for consumers,
    who knows......

    jeffc, Nov 24, 2003
  11. Jeff burrell

    Darthy Guest

    They do it all the time.... Look at some motherboards which have fans
    on the northbridge which appeals more to geeks that system builders.

    Or the accessory market that sells those useless HD coolers that has
    fans UNDER the HD or the DIMM memory heat-sink covers that costs
    $10... gee if the DIMM needed it, the manufacture would have included
    them to begin with....

    Sure it looks nice, but a waste of $10 an could cause failure.

    Darthy, Nov 25, 2003
  12. Jeff burrell

    jeffc Guest

    I see your point, but a lot of this isn't what is *needed*, it's what
    improves performance. Cheaper memory, weaker power supply.... sure, there
    might be some system crashes, and sure it might break in 2 years, but hey
    you just think Windows crashed, and you'll just buy a new computer when it
    breaks, right? I'm not saying there's no eye candy out there, but it
    doesn't mean that some of this stuff isn't good.

    jeffc, Nov 25, 2003
  13. Jeff burrell

    Darthy Guest

    I dont mind the eye candy on products - but im more concerned with
    actual functionality that "looks"

    HD coolers that are screwed to the bottom are a joke... they look very
    high tech and cool... but nothing more... they could distrupt the air
    flow for the rest of the system.

    HD coolers which fit in 5.25 Drive bays that suck in aire from the
    front over the drive - is actually usable... buying 2-3 of these $20
    devices is is kind of a waste since a good $60~200 case would already
    have good HD cooling. Enermax 101 seried and the Antec cases are good
    at that.

    Darthy, Nov 25, 2003
  14. Jeff burrell

    tq96 Guest

    They do it all the time.... Look at some motherboards which have fans
    When you move from passive cooling to active cooling, you can add a fan and
    make the heat sink smaller. Since a fan is cheaper than a hunk of metal,
    the manufacturers can actually save money by putting a fan on the
    northbridge with a dinky heatsink instead of a nice-sized one without a
    fan.

    tq96, Nov 26, 2003
  15. Jeff burrell

    Lenny Guest

    This, I seriously doubt. There's actually upwards of two dozen separate
    components in a fan, compared to a heatsink which is just one. Also, fans
    that small quickly break down and cost money in warranty returns.

    Lenny, Nov 26, 2003
  16. Jeff burrell

    Darthy Guest

    ???

    Er... a good North bridge Heat sink costs less than a fan...

    A heatsink (large) has a failure rate of 0.

    A HSF for Northbridge can fail in: The fan motor, the power cable -
    besides the added overall noise to the system. No serious reviewer
    and system builder WANTS a fan over a heat sink for that part.

    Cost of a Heatsink... pennies.

    Darthy, Nov 26, 2003
  17. Jeff burrell

    jeffc Guest

    Well copper is a very good heat conducting metal, and copper heatsinks can
    be quite expensive, but I doubt fans are cheaper than most aluminum
    heatsinks....

    jeffc, Nov 26, 2003