    Anyone know if this fan is even needed?
    Where to buy a replacement fan for it?
    Thanks.

    Buffalo, Apr 30, 2004

  2. Buffalo

    Asestar Guest

    You can not take the heatsink off of 8500 series cards. It is glued to gpu
    with thermal adhesive.

    Asestar, Apr 30, 2004

  3. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    Thanks, but I also need to know where you can get a fan replacement.
    The fan assembly is held to the heatsink by 4 screws.
    Is the fan even important on this card?
    Thanks

    Buffalo, Apr 30, 2004
  4. Buffalo

    Asestar Guest

    Not really.. But only if you are able to install a big enough heatsink,
    which you sadly can't. So have to live with this fan/sink combo. I tried to
    run without fan my Hercules8500Le, it was not very stable, and got hot.
    Reason is that heatsink is really thin over the gpu.

    I don't think you can purchase a fan like that.
    Here is a suggestion: Remove the fan. Glue a standard 20-40mm fan on top of
    the heatsink. It should run cool enough.

    Asestar, Apr 30, 2004
  5. Buffalo

    Buffalo Guest

    I will probably use the 'glue' technique.
    Thanks

    Buffalo, Apr 30, 2004