    metal grill to the top of the fan. Does this matter at all ? Screwing the fan
    back on to the heatsink is such a PITA operation that I would rather not do it
    again until I have to clean the dust off of the fan's blades again.

    Guest, Aug 21, 2005

  2. Guest

    Bird Janitor Guest

    Edward Diener No Spam wrote:

    | After cleaning my CPU heatsink's fan, since it was getting pretty noisy,
    | when I screwed the fan back on top of the heatsink I forgot to attach
    | the circular metal grill to the top of the fan. Does this matter at all ?
    | Screwing the fan back on to the heatsink is such a PITA operation
    | that I would rather not do it again until I have to clean the dust off of
    | the fan's blades again.

    Hi Edward -

    Unless you're like the Kangaroo Rat who happened across the exhaust fan on
    the top of my computer's case, who chopped off his leg and bled to death, I
    wouldn't worry about it.

    Kangaroo Rat leg in 120mm exhaust fan = human arm in fast moving ceiling
    fan.

    Ensure that everything is snug and anchored inside the case (no dangling
    wires to get caught in the fan, like my unwelcome guest's leg) and watch
    those fingers. Not that you'd chop off your finger .. but you could end up
    with a sore finger and busted fan blades.

    It'll keep until next time you clean out the crud.

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood® -
    Jef

    p.s. .. Yes, I found his leg in the bottom of the case. Yuck!

    Bird Janitor, Aug 21, 2005

  3. Guest

    Doug Guest

    Yeah, it'll work without it, maybe even better than with it. The grill is
    there to keep fingers out. It should really be called a finger guard/grill.
    If it's a high-speed fan (like say a Vantec Tornado) you will REALLY want to
    keep your fingers from touching that fan while it's on because it will cut
    you bad enough to bleed.

    Doug, Aug 21, 2005
  4. Writing as someone who has caught his little finger in an unguarded fan
    (ouch and I do mean ouch), I would replace it. It is easily done, I was
    making sure no cables were likely to snag the fan. Blood and circuits
    do not mix and the bruising suggested that my little finger could have
    followed a kangaroo rat's leg.

    Nicholas D Richards, Aug 22, 2005