Fans Spin for a second, AMD Athlon XP 2600+ With Stock Thermal Pad

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Jason, Jan 17, 2005.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Hello,

    I have googled and my theories based on my google research is that A) I
    need to repaste the heatsink to the cpu or 2) that I really have a bad
    power supply.

    My problem is common from what I've seen (ok, not common but one that
    has occured to several in the past): I hit the power switch and the
    fans spin for about a second and then the system shuts off. I shut off
    turn on the power supply and get same quick fan spin cycle.

    I've removed the heatsink and can see a shallow crater where the heat
    pad molded around the cpu chip. My theory is that maybe now the
    pad/heatsink is not making good enough contact and this auto thermal
    protect circuit I've heard about is kicking in preventing the system
    from coming up. This is the thermal pad that came with the HS/Fan that
    came with the CPU.

    I'm going to try this (removing the pad and using real paste to test
    the theory, but I was just hoping others might have experience/opinions
    as to whether or not this is likely the cause of my problems or if
    others are more inclined to believe bad PSU.

    Basically, I'm screwed till tomorrow after work since I don't have any
    paste on hand now and stores are closed... so I'm just trying to pass
    the time ;-)

    Oh, another thing is that the system did run long enough without
    problem for me to do a complete install of Slackware Linux 10. But
    after that the system just shut off and ever since it's been doing as
    first described. So the system ran, I'm guessing long enough to heat
    that pad to the point where it lost a good contact. I did reseat the
    sink and try again, but same thing. I'm also going to see if anyone at
    work tomorrow has a PSU tester I can borrow just in case.

    Anyhow, that's my situation, would love comments to the problem, other
    theories, etc. I have checked and there are no extra standoffs
    grounding the board, no cables or anything where it shouldn't be, and
    since the system ran a bit, and I didn't move or do anything to knock
    anything around, I have to believe it's not a short in the board.
    Also, the bios temp readings never got above 40 celcius so I don't
    think it's a overall heat issue, other than the HS not making good
    contact (my theory).

    Thanks for listening,

    Jason

    Jason, Jan 17, 2005

  2. Jason

    Chris Hill Guest

    Nope, your problem is a power supply that wasn't up to the task. Now
    that you've pulled the heatsink you'll probably have to scrape off the
    pad and put paste on. Buy a larger power supply, probably 400w will
    do unless you have an athlan64, ten you might want even larger. Try
    something with a name brand on it.

    Chris Hill, Jan 17, 2005

  3. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Nope, your problem is a power supply that wasn't up to the task. ...
    Buy a larger power supply, probably 400w will
    I should have mentioned that this is a 400w PSU from a new Antec case
    (an Antec PSU)... I know others have said this sort of thing is a PSU
    problem, but given it's 400w and a new PSU from a pretty good case... I
    have difficulty believing it's a PSU problem... but, I wanted your
    opinions and considering you all have more knowledge than I on all
    this, I'm going to compusa today at lunch to buy some thermal paste, a
    psu tester, and a new PSU for good measure... plus I'm expecting a new
    CPU to come in today, so hopefully if the PSU died, then the worst it
    took out I hope is the CPU which I should have a replacement for today
    and that the mobo is still good... hopefully tonight I'll have this
    bi#! working! :> (evil/pissed grin while looking at computer)

    hey thanks for the reply, cause if you had not chimed in here I might
    not have bought a new PSU today which means I could have been screwed
    all over again when my theory I was so sure of didn't pan out... now
    I'll be prepared either way my theory goes! ;-)

    btw, my mobo is a biostar with the cpu guardian chip on it... that's
    why I was thinking maybe it was not just getting good contact and this
    chip was kicking in and shuttin it down...

    Thanks!

    Jason

    Jason, Jan 17, 2005
  4. Jason

    Chris Hill Guest

    Well, depending on the cpu and system, 400 could be marginal. What
    kind of voltage readings were you getting before it blew up? Only
    other thing I can think of is a grounding problem with the mainboard;
    if all else fails pull it and place it on some cardboard for testing.

    Chris Hill, Jan 18, 2005
  5. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Wow! Dude, I'm sorry for even the slightest doubt I may of had... I
    replaced the power supply after trying different cpu and having same
    problem and son of a gun, the system came up... partially... now, it
    beeps once which I understand to be good, it displays the cpu type and
    displays the ram... but then it just stops... I cannot use the keyboard
    (delete key) to get into the bios... I tried a usb keyboard as well as
    a ps/2 keyboard and nodda... so... we got power... the system is sort
    of alive... but now what... ok, let me take out the sound card and
    parallel port card and just try that... I'm already down to just a hard
    drive... wait... could it be it requires a floppy drive to boot? cause
    I don't have that connected. hmm... we're getting closer... hopefully
    it's something configged wrong or cabled wrong or a blown sound card or
    something... just hope it ain't the board, but even if it is, I can get
    a new one tomorrow for 60 bucks... damn... now that I think about it it
    may have been the power supply all along... I've already went through
    acouple of mobos and cpus... this thing turning into a money sink with
    so far very very little reward...

    oh well... hey thanks again!

    Jason

    Jason, Jan 18, 2005
  6. Jason

    Chris Hill Guest

    Building one machine can be frustrating, if everythign doesn't go
    right you end up throwing a lot of parts at it. I'd try pulling the
    cmos battery for a half hour with the computer unplugged and see if
    things don't come back to normal when reinstalled.

    Chris Hill, Jan 18, 2005
  7. Jason

    Jason Guest

    thanks... I ran out of patience and bought a new mobo... my system
    seems to work, been running now for an hour or two... in fact, I'm
    replying to this on the new system... if it runs for a week or two
    without hint of trouble or error, I'll begin to feel comfortable with
    it... oh, I did lose my floppy drive in all this, although I'm going to
    double check the cable and power to it, but I'm pretty sure they're
    correct already... but that's a 10 dollar fix, I can deal with that...
    I also don't get my HDD light, have to double check that... but for the
    most part it's working...

    to anyone who stumbles across this in the future... if you have the
    patience, try what he suggests above and yank the battery and let it
    sit for a while... cause I tossed the board to the carpet, I'll never
    know if it was truly a bad mobo or not...
    Thanks again for your help,

    Jason

    Jason, Jan 19, 2005