    doc doesn't talk about this.

    Thanks
    Greg

    Greg, Feb 19, 2006

  2. Here's how I do it, Greg. First I build a set of DVD files using
    software like Ulead DVD Workshop or Roxio MyDVD to build my DVD with
    menu and appropriate background and all that stuff *on my hard drive*.
    The resulting DVD files will be much too big to fit on a single blank
    DVD -- probably in the area of 6 to 7 gigabytes. Then I use DVD2One to
    compress the DVD files to exactly the size that will fit on a DVD. Then
    I use Nero to burn the compressed DVD. DVD2One does a fine job of
    shrinking about 7 gigabytes down to about 4.3 gigabytes or so. The
    resulting videos look just fine, even though they're compressed.

    http://www.dvd2one.com/

    I know software like DVD Workshop and MyDVD can compress too, at least I
    think so, but I use DVD2One anyhow. Cuz I like to do it that way.

    Bill Anderson, Feb 19, 2006

  3. "Greg" wrote ...
    More info then you ever wanted to know at: http://www.videohelp.com/

    Also, even at 1 hour .. the video is still 'compressed'. You say you are
    burning "family vacation DVD's" How are you getting the video into the
    computer?

    Richard Amirault, Feb 20, 2006
  4. Greg

    Matt Ion Guest

    Actually, most are using dual-layer discs.
    Or if you want an all-in-one solution, NeroVision Express will capture,
    let you build menus complete with animations and backing music, and
    recompress to DVD allowing up to about 6 hours on a standard disc, all
    through a straightforward wizard interface. A free demo is available
    from www.nero.com

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0608-0, 02/20/2006
    Tested on: 2/20/2006 11:44:20 PM

    Matt Ion, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Greg

    abc Guest

    The OP says "dvd", though he doesn't mention Mpeg2, which is what DVD videos
    are using.

    Whatever you use to capture your movies you still need to know about
    resolution, sound compression etc, and what effect this will have on files
    size.

    abc, Feb 23, 2006
  6. Greg

    Mark Burns Guest

    The following is for mpeg capture:

    1) Make sure that audio is mpa, not pcm (much more space)

    2) Check the capture bit rate. A bit rate of 7000 is almost
    indistinguishable from 8000, imho. Noticable in 6000 vs. 7000 however.

    3) Capture the video to hard drive. I strongly suggest using VideoRedo
    at this stage to deal with any dropped frames. These will only become
    apparent after demuxing and remuxing the mpeg.

    4) Author into Video_TS folder.

    4) Use DVD Shrink in Deep Analysis mode to shring the authored folder
    to fit on a single layer disk.

    5) Create .iso file with DvdShrink and burn to disk with DvdDecrypter
    or ImgBurn.

    This is my method, although I don't use an ATI. As a matter of fact,
    most in the past haven't recommend the ATI for many reasons.
    Hauppauge and ADS on the low end are often cited as good deals. I use
    a Pinnacle Movie Box USB 2.0 that does a very good job.

    For DV:

    Capture the video to the computer. Most just use a firewire port.
    Edit video in DV mode. Save edited DV back to a fresh tape in the
    camera. At this point, either capture to mpeg in the above method or
    use an encoder such as TmpgEnc or Cinemacraft to create the mpeg.

    Home movies at two hours can be very tiresome. Better to split them up
    I have found. Ten hours of video can often give me 10 minutes of stuff
    that people will watch.

    Cheers...

    Mark Burns, Feb 23, 2006