Farewell old friend PB ----------

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by kraut, May 2, 2009.

  1. kraut

    kraut Guest

    My U.S. Packard Bell desktop which I got back when Windows 98 came out
    finally came to an end!! The thing served me well over the years. It
    could not run many of the fancy newer programs or Windows XP but it
    did what I needed and wanted from it. I ran it as it came out of the
    box except for removing a lot of the junk and installing my programs.
    I started on computers when DOS was the thing and progressed with each
    new OS but Vista (BOO--). Got my PB when 98 came out cause my old DOS
    unit could not handle 98. So my XP is only the 3rd box I have had.

    It never had to be taken in for repairs or fixed in any way. If it
    was not for the on / off switch going after all these years I would
    still be running it. I tryed to locate a new on / off switch to no
    avail.

    I do have to admit that the one thing it did not have that I missed
    was a card slot for my digital camera so I just took the camera to the
    local store and had the photos put on a CD so that was no big problem.

    The PB is setting in the corner now and I have a new box that I found
    with XP on it. Taking a little getting used to this OS!! UGH.

    Thanks for listening.

    kraut, May 2, 2009

  2. Hello "kraut" !

    ( interesting name :)

    Sad story..... and unusual. I doubt that many people have been actually
    using a PB after all these years.
    Congrats.

    If I were you, I would suspect the power supply failing before the power
    switch. In any event, there are copious quantities of each on eBay all the
    time. You haven't mentioned which PB you have, but I suspect the switch is
    part of a "cable" built into the PSU. If that is the case, you can easily
    replace both at once very cheaply by buying a new/used one from eBay, or
    some other source. Although some PB's require proprietary PSU's, some will
    accept a plain 'ol AT PSU.

    If that is the case, you can fix your computer pretty cheap and fast, no
    problem.

    Good luck.

    ( which one do you have exactly by the way ? )

    bobwatts
    EartH

    Robert E. Watts, May 6, 2009

  3. kraut

    kraut Guest

    Sorry it took so long to get back to you but was sick. The PB was
    older then I thought!!

    The thing was a Legend Supreme 1985 333Mhz AMD-K6 with a 6.4 GB hard
    drive and CAME with 64 MB RAM which I increased. Serial number was
    P486060586+

    According to the Pbdisk.ini file which was on the HD when I got it and
    I printed off the burn date for it was 11/13/98 11:11 AM by a Richard
    Huynh. Not that that makes a diff.

    Like I said the only thing I ever did was clean up the junk progs and
    max out the memory and it did everything I ever wanted to the end and
    NEVER was in for any repairs even through everyone always was down on
    PBs. The one thing I found was that usually what causes problems is
    people messing with what they do not know about instead of leaving it
    be. In fact at the time I got 2 systems the same and my daughter is
    still using the other one with no problems.

    Thanks all.

    kraut, May 9, 2009
  4. kraut

    Ben Myers Guest

    With the memory upgrades, you apparently got lucky with the PB power
    supply. A long time ago, a client had a PB that was struggling for lack
    of memory. It had a crappy 145w (or less?) power supply. I maxed out
    the system memory and the system would run for 5 minutes or so, then
    shut down. The power supply was burning hot. I had to remove the
    memory to restore the system to stable operation. IIRC, the PB system
    was an earlier Socket 7 with Cyrix CPU, not the coolest running dude
    either... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 11, 2009
  5. kraut

    Ben Myers Guest

    If it is only the on-off switch that IS broken, it is an easy enough
    repair. Is the switch truly broken, as in fractured or undone from some
    wire leads?

    Personally, I cannot remember whether the motherboard in kraut's PB is
    ATX or baby AT. Either way, the on-off switch is usually no big deal.

    With an ATX motherboard and power supply, the on-off switch is a push
    button "momentary" switch that closes a circuit when the button is
    pushed. The switch is attached to two wires that cover two pins on the
    motherboard.

    With a baby AT motherboard, the on-off switch is a much sturdier one
    that (I think) closes the 120v circuit from the power plug to allow
    juice through the power supply to the motherboard. With many baby AT
    power supplies, the switch itself has wires attached to it via spade
    connectors. If the PB power supply is that way, replace the switch. If
    the on-off switch is part of an assembly soldered to some wires that
    lead into the power supply, it is cleaner and easier to replace the
    power supply, which is probably a standard form factor in a later PB system.

    If kraut wants to bring his trusty PB back to life, he needs to tell us
    more, or maybe take some photos of the inside of the system, so we know
    what he's got... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 12, 2009