    Should I sacrifice timings for the sake of higher mhz or stick with
    lower timings to at least insure 2-2-2-6 timings at 400mhz? My proc
    is an XP2400+. Thanks all.

    Tripper, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Tripper

    Steve Guest

    Someone did a nice study of this recently. I don't remember which site had
    it. The important bit was that PC3200 at 400MHz @ 2 2 2 5 was slightly
    faster in games than the same memory at 500MHz @3 4 4 8. A 2-3% difference.
    The opposite was true in most benchmarking programs.

    The study was much more extensive but this was the part I was interested in
    so I remembered it.

    Steve, Nov 25, 2003

  3. Tripper

    Frank Hagan Guest

    I don't have the link, but I printed it out. I think the document you refer
    to is "Memory Timings Analysis" by Harry Lam dated 05-16-03. If anyone is
    interested I saved it as a Word.doc. It's about 60.5KB. Or a Google Search
    should find it ;-)

    FRH

    Frank Hagan, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Tripper

    sdlomi Guest

    Here's the link: http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/memory/memory_timings/

    sdlomi, Nov 25, 2003
  5. Tripper

    Tripper Guest

    Thanks for the link, I found it via Google.

    According to the article above I should go with the GeIL Ultra 3500.
    The biggest differences were seen with higher mhz in 4-Bank, the CAS
    was almost negligible, all other timings being equal.

    What surprised me was how CAS2 would not run at 166 if the tRCD was
    less than 4. Could it have been the VIA chipset on the mobo (Soyo
    SY-P4X400), assuming the P4 was a Northwood?

    Anyone care to raise an argument against this article's conclusions or
    GeIL's 3500 Ultra? I thought my best bet was HyperX 3200 but after
    reading Lam's findings (and considering the GeIL is rated 4.5ns) I
    think I'm changing my mind. One review I read for Ultra 3500 said it
    could run like Corsair at 2-3-2-6, or 2-2-2-6 at 400mhz. If so
    there's no reason not to go with it. Thanks again all!

    Tripper, Nov 26, 2003
  6. Tripper

    Tripper Guest

    Decided to go with HyperX PC3500 2x256 kit. The timings aren't as low
    as the 3200 but several reviews indicate 2-2-2-6 is possible at 400mhz
    and even higher in the 2.7-2.8v range. The GeIL may need even higher
    voltages to reach those timings at DDR400 and above. My board, the
    GA-7N400 Pro, probably won't go over 2.8v so HyperX 3500 seems like
    the one. It's a little more expensive than the GeIL but hopefully
    worth it. Thanks again everyone, especially for the info about Lam's
    latency article, Ciao.

    Tripper, Nov 28, 2003