Faster Ram=Faster Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Jeff Sumner, Dec 22, 2004.

  1. Jeff Sumner

    Jeff Sumner Guest

    I was given a DIMM of 512 Mb for my Powerbook G4. I now have 768Mb, and
    it's certainly kept this poor 600 Mhz Ti book going. When I check under
    "About this Mac," though, I see that it's only PC100 whereas the
    original RAM is PC133.

    I have a little money to upgrade the Laptop, and I'm committed to
    keeping it for a year. I'd like to buy another 512Mb DIMM.

    The PC133 is easily available, but I can't afford two DIMMs, so I was
    curious if there's any thought as to which would afford the better speed
    improvement for my use- mostly e-mail, a little i-Photo, some news
    reading, browsing the Internet, and Word/Excel/Powerpoint work,
    compilation and XCode work (I'm a DNS/DHCP administrator and compile ISC
    software as a matter of course in my work)- replacing my PC133 256Mb
    DIMM for a 512Mb PC133 DIMM (giving me 1Gb ram, one PC100, one PC133) or
    simply replacing the 512Mb PC100 DIMM with a PC133 DIMM, giving me two
    PC133 DIMMS, and only 768MB.

    Any opinion? I do indeed rarely hit the swapper process, but what I'd
    really like to know is, will I notice a speed improvement with sticking
    to PC133 RAM or am I simply better off using more RAM?

    Thanks!

    JD

    Jeff Sumner, Dec 22, 2004

  2. Jeff Sumner

    Don Bruder Guest

    In a nutshell, faster RAM != faster PowerBook

    The speed of the RAM isn't an issue, except to the motherboard -
    "faster" RAM only means that it'll be functional with a motherboard that
    runs at a faster bus rate than what the "slower" RAM can handle, not
    that it "works faster".

    If your rig is specced for PC100, then putting the same amount of PC133
    RAM into it won't make any difference to the machine or its operating
    speed. If it's specced for PC133, and you try to put PC100 in it,
    chances are really high that it's going to become severely crashy, since
    the motherboard is going to be trying to use the RAM at a speed that the
    RAM simply can't support.

    To get "Faster PowerBook", you need AT LEAST a faster processor *AND
    POSSIBLY* faster bus, plus matching RAM to go with it. Faster RAM alone
    isn't going to do anything but give you a larger "sandbox" to play in.

    Don Bruder, Dec 22, 2004