  1. Wout

    Wout Guest

    how do i make my computer faster?

    Wout, Sep 12, 2004

  2. Wout

    outlaw Guest

    you can add better parts to it. Like ram. Or a faster hard drive.
    Defragging the hard drive helps to.

    outlaw, Sep 13, 2004

  3. Hi,
    You should clean out all of your Internet and temporary files
    with disk cleanup or a similar utility and defragment the drive before
    doing anything else. If performance doesn't improve, then consider
    hardware upgrades. A memory upgrade is usually the least expensive way
    to upgrade system performance and help reduce software or system
    "crashes". If you are talking about speeding up web browsing, you
    could get a more reliable ISP or service. There are also software
    manufacturers and services that claim to speed up your web browsing
    and Internet related use. You can do a Google search on related
    topics.

    Silicon Alley Computers
    www.siliconalleycomputers.com

    Silicon Alley Computers, Sep 13, 2004
  4. You also wrote this:

    Wout) wrote >>.
    First, you should inventory your current system so you
    know what you have. You can find out information about your computer
    in its documentation, or download a program like aida32 (very
    thorough) or www.belarc.com (lighter/smaller but less informative).

    Then, decide on your budget and what you want to be faster - faster
    boot up times, faster games, etc.

    Then ask your question again, but post your budget, your system specs,
    and what you are trying to make faster. You answer will be different
    if you say, "I have a Pentium II, 64mb RAM, 2gb HD, running Win95 and
    $50 US to upgrade it" than if you said, "I have a Dell XPS, 1gb
    PC3200, WinXP SP1, 2x120GB SATA RAID 0 and 1x160GB 7200 rpm drive,
    nVidia 6800 Pro 256mb DDR, and I have $3,000 to make it go faster"
    :)

    The others have given you good tips on your current system, but
    without knowing more about your system, no one can be more specific.

    On any computer made in the last 8 years or so, it's quite easy to
    upgrade a processor. Whether it's worthwhile to do so depends on what
    you have now.

    Anonymous Jack, Sep 14, 2004
  5. Wout

    willah Guest

    Defragging won't make a noticeable performance difference but do it
    anyway.
    If you're running win 98, go with 256mb, winXP go with 512, and if you
    do serious gaming or the like go 512-1024 mb
    Things like "optimizers" (AOL 9.0 Optimized) really don't have much of
    an effect on page load times, but you probably will notice that
    pictures load faster... Just don't expect downloads to speed up.

    willah, Sep 16, 2004