    specifies support for AMD Athlon up to 1GHz at 100FSB. Is that as fast as
    the Athlon socket A goes?

    TIA

    Jason, Sep 13, 2003

  2. Search this group for 'Wes Newell' - he's got a Thoroughbred 1700+ running
    at 2.4GHz on his old KT7..!

    Ciao...

    [UK]_Nick...

    Nick M V Salmon, Sep 13, 2003

  3. Jason

    Wes Newell Guest

    No. The fastest would probably be the Barton core since it has 512k L2
    cache. Modify the default multiplier to 13 and then drop it in. It will
    boot up at 20x100 by default. Adjust from 15x to 24x. See link below for
    more info. If the 2500+ is too high for you, any Tbred B core will work as
    well as long as it has a 13x default multiplier. Many use the 1700+ since
    it's so cheap. Just remember it MUST be a B core. Palominos and A cores
    won't work.

    Wes Newell, Sep 13, 2003
  4. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Wow, that's a lot faster than I would have thought. I might get a lot more
    use out of this old rig. Can anyone recommend a favorite vendor?

    Thanks,

    Jason

    Jason, Sep 13, 2003
  5. Jason

    Jason Guest

    I'm looking at CPUs on Ebay (I guess this is the way to go as there are a
    ton of them) and I see that CPU's with the Barton core are rated for 333Mhz
    FSB. I'm assuming then that I can drop one of these in my board and that it
    will run at the slower 100MHz FSB speed? Sorry for the newb questions.

    Thanks,

    Jason, Sep 13, 2003
  6. Jason

    Wes Newell Guest

    They all have default settings. The FSB ratings start at 100MHz and go up
    to 200MHz (real numbers). The KT7 is limited to about 116MHz for the FSB.
    All the cpu's are rated to run on a FSB as low as 50MHz. The speed that
    the cpu runs at is determined by just 2 settings, FSB and multiplier. All
    have a default multiplier. If the default multiplier is 13 or higher, the
    KT7(-raid) will set the multiplier to 20x on an unlocked cpu. All XP cpu's
    except the older Palomino cores are unlocked. The max multiplier is 24x
    and the lowest will be 15x. While there may be exceptions (but I don't
    think so), any board designed for a socket A cpu, should be able to run
    any XP cpu since the FSB falls within the specified range defined by
    AMD. If you hear of one that won't, it's probably because the person
    trying to do it doesn't know what to do to make it work or there's some
    other factor causing the problem. Even Palominos and Tbred A cores will
    work. But you have to do more to get them to work at proper speeds, and
    they won't run over about 1900MHz (maybe less). I've still got an old
    1600+ running with a locked 16x multiplier in a KT7-raid.

    Wes Newell, Sep 13, 2003
  7. Jason

    ZR Guest

    BoroLad,

    My application ("Free Agent") doesn't let me find the older thread
    "wes Newell" that you mentiuoned.

    Would you be so kind to find it for me and send a copy of that to:

    Appreciate you help.

    ZR

    ZR, Sep 13, 2003
  8. Jason

    Jason Guest

    ZR, try this
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...ch&meta=group=alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit .

    --
    Jason

    Jason, Sep 13, 2003
  9. Jason

    Klaus Jensen Guest

    Search this group for 'Wes Newell' - he's got a Thoroughbred 1700+
    running
    Erhm... I guess I'm a bit slow, but... I would like to be sure, be

    Does that mean I can an Athlon Thoroughbred XP 2200+ (1800MHz) Socket A /
    FSB 266MHz, put the cooler from my Thunderbird 800mhz on it, drop it in my
    Abit KT7 Raid - and watch it boot (rime not intended)? And nothing else? :)

    - Klaus

    Klaus Jensen, Sep 14, 2003
  10. Jason

    BF Guest

    I have a 2100+ "B" core running at 2.1 GHZ. Thanks to Wes I was able to
    postpone the building of a new computer for a while.

    BF, Sep 14, 2003
  11. Jason

    Wes Newell Guest

    See link below.

    Wes Newell, Sep 14, 2003
  12. Jason

    Klaus Jensen Guest

    I HAD already read the articles on your site. But terms like palladium,
    Thoroughbread multipliers and other stuff swirls through the air, so I was
    kinda hoping for a "yes, that would work"-kind of answer, to make sure I
    understood it all right. :)

    - Klaus

    Klaus Jensen, Sep 14, 2003
  13. Jason

    Wes Newell Guest

    If the 2200+ is a B core Tbred it should work. If it's an A core, it
    probably won't. I'm not sure what cooler you have, but if it keeps the
    800Mhz tbird pretty cool, then it should work too. There are many hybrid
    copper and aluminum coolers under $10 that will work fine if you don't try
    extreme overclocking. The one that comes to mind is one I have, a TR2-M1.
    Aluminum with a copper plate and 80mm quiet fan for about $8.

    Wes Newell, Sep 14, 2003
  14. Jason

    dougo Guest

    Again, another newbie wants it all spelled out in babytalk: I just got a
    barton 2500+ for my kt7a raid board. If I understand correctly, I should not
    cut any traces, but should be able to modify fsb and multiplier in bios, and
    live happily ever after? Or something to that effect... :) Thanks Wes and
    all for your helpful posts...

    Doug

    dougo, Oct 2, 2003
  15. Jason

    Wes Newell Guest

    Your options are many. You could just plug it in and set the multiplier to
    the highest available and it will run fine at 12.5xFSB. If you want the
    max spoeed out of the cpu in the kt7(a) board, you will have to mod the
    cpu to get access to the higher multipliers.

    Wes Newell, Oct 2, 2003
  16. Jason

    DougO Guest

    Ok, now I remember you saying that. Mod meaning cut all the traces on L1? I
    think I read that ... somewhere....? ;-)

    DougO, Oct 2, 2003
  17. Jason

    DougO Guest

    I reread all the posts about kt7. Too bad I don't know how to do a cancel on
    the NG reader.. :)

    I found this advice from you:

    For access to the higher multipliers, you need to change the default
    OK, I can do that. It was the sealing and rejoining traces that seemed a
    little too much headache...

    And then, if I understand correctly, one can further tweak setting in bios
    to perhaps get a little more speed (Though I really will have no complaints
    at all having this running at 2gig).

    Thanks again...
    Doug

    DougO, Oct 2, 2003
  18. Jason

    ZR Guest

    Doug,

    I am sure that Wes will repluy as well. He was very helpful with me
    too.

    Please note that I have done the same exact mod, but note that in
    addition to the cuts of the L3-3 and L3-5 on my XP 2500+ Barton, I had
    to change a BIOS line to get the 2 GHz I wanted.

    Without it it ran at 1.25 Ghz. Not much faster than my old TB 900.

    Good luck , and thanks again to Wes !!

    ZR, Oct 2, 2003