fastest fanless agp card with h/w H.264 decoding?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by kalev-, Sep 12, 2006.

  1. kalev-

    kalev- Guest

    Hi all.

    I'm a MCE (MS media center)-user with a (still powerful 3.2GHz P4) AGP based
    motherboard/ system. FWIW: my PC in the living room is dead quiet.

    Currently I'm using an ATI Radeon 9800 pro fanless. I'm quite happy with
    this config. My problem is that I "need" a gfx-card with hardware-based
    H.264 (typically HDTV) decoding. (read: "want"). Problem is that the ATI
    card I would recommend to myself might be the X1600-AGP (ie. an Avivo card)
    but they are not fanless. X1300 seems to low-end.

    So I kindly ask you what fanless Nvidia card should fit the bill (a 7600GS?)
    I'm lost as far as Nvidia cards go. I would assume it should be in the same
    midprice point and performance-range as an X1600 ATI offering.

    Second relevant question: Is it a requirement to use Nvida mpg2 decoder (ie.
    Purevideo) to get hardare-based H-264 decoding off an Nvida card?
    (My current mpg decoder: "PowerDVD 7" seems to only support hardware-based
    H.264 decoding on ATI X#### cards (=Avivo).

    Any opinions, comments and error corrections most welcome!

    kalev-, Sep 12, 2006

  2. kalev-

    Cuzman Guest

    Cuzman, Sep 12, 2006

  3. kalev-

    Tom Scales Guest

    I have the 7600GS in my primary MCE machine (although it is PCI-E) and am
    very pleased. It is fanless, so the machine is absolutely quiet. Just what
    I wanted.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 12, 2006
  4. kalev-

    kalev- Guest

    Cuzman and Tom..

    thank you both for your responses.
    I know what card I (really) want now!

    kalev-, Sep 12, 2006
  5. kalev-

    Rob Convery Guest

    Can you tell me if this card is able to output HD to two displays (1280x720
    and 1366x768) at the same time? or both at 720p?

    I have a 6600GT which is fine displaying to 1 at a time but both is pushing
    it too hard

    Rob Convery, Sep 21, 2006
  6. kalev-

    Tom Scales Guest

    I don't know, as I don't need to do that. I am surprised that your 6600GT
    won't do it.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Sep 21, 2006