Fastest graphic card for Windows workstation use (2D, not gaming)

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Luca Villa, Dec 28, 2007.

  1. Luca Villa

    Luca Villa Guest

    Luca Villa, Dec 29, 2007

  2. Luca Villa

    Augustus Guest

    You came here for an advice and you got it. If you don't believe us fine
    You're wasting your time with this guy. He obviously didn't come here for
    real advice and is 100% equipped with unbendable preconcieved opinions not
    based on fact. Even worse, not willing to read and learn when shown actual
    facts. Let him go out and get his Quaro and FireGL.

    Augustus, Dec 29, 2007

  3. Luca Villa

    Luca Villa Guest

    when shown actual facts

    I only see words, not facts, here, and noone even reported a link to
    words of a reputable sources.

    Luca Villa, Dec 29, 2007
  4. * Luca Villa:
    I think you probably refer to the PC Mark 05 results. Well, it might
    look to you that way but just reading some numbers without having a clue
    what has been tested doesn't help.

    FYI:

    - the "2D Graphics Memory" tests are testing the bandwidth of the gfx
    memory for 2D copy operations. The relevance to real world applications
    is *zero* because memory bandwidth isn't a limiting factor for 2D for
    almost a decade now.

    - The "2D WMV video playback" test has a mis-leading title: it doesn't
    test 2D performance but the performance of video playback, done by
    simply playing back a HDTV video (1920x1080) with Windows Media Player
    at maximum possible frame rate. It doesn't tell you *anything* about 2D
    application performance, it just tells you how well HDTV videos can be
    played back by Windows Media Player. This test is just nonsense as
    todays cards often support HDTV hardware playback with certain players
    or additional software, so basically this test is useless.

    - "2D Transparent Windows" creates 30 Windows with a sweeping "fading"
    effect (alpha blending). The number just tells you how many of these
    Windows can be created per second, it's not only affected by the gfx
    hardware but also by the driver and even by what other processes are
    running on the computer. While this test at least has some remote
    relevance to real work (Window drawing) it also has no real world
    relevance as you never ever see or notice the difference between a
    system that can draw 3800 of these windows per second or "just" 2800.

    Mind you, understanding hardware is no idiot's game where you just have
    to compare some numbers. If you don't know what exactly has been tested,
    how this stuff works and interacts and what also influences the results
    you can't read anything from the numbers.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Dec 29, 2007
  5. * Luca Villa:
    if you want ressources then do your homework. But you better dig very
    deep because you won't find any somewhat recent reliable source for a
    topic that is a no-brainer for almost a decade now.

    You came here with your question and this question has been answered by
    people that very obviously know much more than you do about hardware in
    general. If you don't believe in what we tell you why did you even came
    here to ask? You probably are way better when buying the most expensive
    gfx card you can find. At least it saves you the trouble about using
    your brain.

    Augustus, I think you're right. We're just wasting our time.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Dec 29, 2007
  6. Luca Villa

    Luca Villa Guest

    Benjamin and others,
    so do we all agree that the "2D workstation acceleration cards are
    designed exclusively for the financial and corporate marketplaces"
    that ATI is marketing for $400 give nothing more than common sub $30
    cards (or a couple of them to drive 4 screens) for general/mixed
    Windows use?

    Luca Villa, Dec 29, 2007
  7. Luca Villa

    Riffrafter Guest

    Bingo!

    Faster processing under Vista for standard "Desktop" Windows apps will be
    *much* more impacted by a faster processer and plenty of RAM (2GB minimum).
    Couple that with a decent $100 video card and you'll be in very good shape.

    I have a middle of the road Dell with an AMD X2 5200+ CPU and 4GB RAM. From
    "locked" desktop to everything back and ready to work is under 2 seconds.
    From Sleep mode to everything back (desktop and all open windows apps ready
    to go) is under 5 seconds.

    I also have an NVIDIA 8800GT, but that only helps me in 3D gaming (and boy
    does it help!), but I got essentially the exact same desktop response using
    the 7300LE that originally came with my system. The 7300 LE probably costs
    less than $50 today and it handled Aero and standard windows apps under
    Vista very well...

    -Riff

    Riffrafter, Dec 29, 2007
  8. Luca Villa

    Mr.E Solved! Guest

    You need to find another hobby, ciao!

    Mr.E Solved!, Dec 29, 2007
  9. Luca Villa

    JLC Guest

    I'm really starting to think this guy is a troll. Just seems that no matter
    how the facts are presented to him, he has some silly response. And poor Ben
    has spent a hell of a lot of time trying to help this guy, and all he gets
    back is more BS. JLC

    JLC, Dec 30, 2007
  10. Luca Villa

    Folk Guest

    Be gone, troll.

    Folk, Dec 30, 2007
  11. Luca Villa

    Dima Guest

    Here you go, download and run the BitBit 2D benchmark.
    http://www.karpfenteich.net/colorful/bitblt.html

    couldn't resist, but hope it's accurate
    HD 3870 results - 1680x1050, Vista x64

    BitBlt:
    avg: 2461.0 fps [2884.0 MB/sec]
    max: 3975.1 fps [4658.3 MB/sec]
    min: 97.6 fps [114.4 MB/sec]

    ReverseBlt:
    avg: 727.9 fps [853.0 MB/sec]
    max: 4292.0 fps [5029.7 MB/sec]
    min: 103.5 fps [121.3 MB/sec]

    Dima, Dec 30, 2007
  12. Luca Villa

    Dima Guest

    [email protected] hd3870, P35 P5K Dlx
    1680x1050
    AccOpt: Normal
    Total video time (s): 4.9
    Window open time (s): 0.019
    Text scroll time (s): 0.93
    Line drawing time (s): 0.32
    Filled objects time (s): 0.28
    Pattern blit time (s): 0.58
    Text draw time (s): 1.8
    DIB blit time (s): 0.94
    Window close time (s): 0.0047

    1024x768
    AccOpt: Normal
    Total video time (s): 2.3
    Window open time (s): 0.014
    Text scroll time (s): 0.37
    Line drawing time (s): 0.14
    Filled objects time (s): 0.064
    Pattern blit time (s): 0.17
    Text draw time (s): 1.2
    DIB blit time (s): 0.35
    Window close time (s): 0.0042

    Dima, Dec 30, 2007
  13. * Luca Villa:
    Yes. The only difference is that these professional 2D cards (Quadro
    NVS/FireMV) are certified for certain professional 2D applications and
    that these cards unlike consumer cards (Geforce/Radeon) support big
    multihead installations (quad head and more).

    They don't offer a better performance.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Dec 30, 2007
  14. * JLC:
    Well, I was also thinking about that someone who really is interested in
    reality might one day search for this topic with groups.google.com, so
    probably a few facts don't hurt. Of course my also my patience is
    limited and starts to get overstressed.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Dec 30, 2007
  15. Luca Villa

    Paul Guest

    I find the text results rather curious. Maybe it is due to
    ClearType or something ? My OS is Win2K, and maybe that makes
    a difference.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleartype

    Paul

    Paul, Dec 30, 2007
  16. * Paul:
    The solution to this riddle is to see relevance (or better: the lack of)
    of BitBlt for 2D performance.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Dec 30, 2007
  17. On a Q6600/2.4GHz/8800GTX - 1680x1050, WinXP Pro 32bits:

    BitBlt:
    avg: 1336.6 fps [1566.3 MB/sec]
    max: 2519.0 fps [2952.0 MB/sec]
    min: 804.9 fps [943.3 MB/sec]

    ReverseBlt:
    avg: 1189.5 fps [1393.9 MB/sec]
    max: 1419.9 fps [1663.9 MB/sec]
    min: 498.5 fps [584.1 MB/sec]

    Weird numbers. Is this is in any way meaningful? :)

    Regards, Patrick.

    Patrick Vervoorn, Dec 30, 2007
  18. Luca Villa

    Outback Jon Guest

    I would think that numbers that are so ridiculously high above what
    *any* monitor is capable of actually displaying on the screen really
    wouldn't mean much.

    Realistically, if your monitor can only show 120 fps (120 Hz) then
    having the capability to show 10x that on average, and 7x that at a
    minimum probably doesn't really do anything for you.

    As has been stated in this thread before, and will be again, I'm sure,
    the 2D acceleration of graphics cards really has little to do at this
    point with the biggest complaint of users. It's usually processor
    power, lack of memory, or (most likely) Windows crappy coding that is
    responsible for slowdowns on the Windows desktop.

    --
    "Outback" Jon - KC2BNE

    AMD Opteron 146 (@2.8) and 6.1 GHz of other AMD power...
    http://folding.stanford.edu - got folding? Team 53560

    2006 ZG1000A Concours "Blueline" COG# 7385 CDA# 0157

    Outback Jon, Dec 30, 2007
  19. I don't think the benchmark was intended as that. It's also ridiculously
    short; it finishes while I barely see the screen flashing.

    My question was more a comment: I think that benchmark is ridiculously
    outdated, and gives no meaningful indication whatsoever. I tried running
    it a 2nd time, and I got totally different outcomes, indicating it's much
    too short to really 'measure' anything.

    [snip]

    Regards, Patrick.

    Patrick Vervoorn, Dec 30, 2007
  20. Luca Villa

    Jack R Guest

    Following this thread with curiosity...
    My numbers:
    E6600 @ 3.2GHz; 2GB RAM; 8800GS; 1680 x 1050, Vista Ultimate 32 bit:
    BitBlt:
    avg: 3315.5 fps [3885.4 MB/sec]
    max: 7275.9 fps [8526.4 MB/sec]
    min: 106.0 fps [124.2 MB/sec]

    ReverseBlt:
    avg: 3970.8 fps [4653.3 MB/sec]
    max: 6063.5 fps [7105.7 MB/sec]
    min: 1831.0 fps [2145.7 MB/sec]

    It runs so fast, it's just a blink on the screen.
    (Oh, and this is with a ton of 'stuff' running)

    Jack R

    Jack R, Dec 31, 2007