Fastest processors for a Tyan Tiger i7505 ??

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by A_Newsreader, Sep 21, 2007.

  1. A_Newsreader

    A_Newsreader Guest

    I've just bought a Tyan Tiger i7505 in order to get a bit more life
    out of my ageing pc.

    I've read on some literature that this mobo will support 512kb L2
    intergrated cache.

    Now I've looked up on Intel's website and it appears that the fastest
    Socket 604 processor made with 512kb L2 cache is a 3.06ghz.

    Newbie question;

    Does this mean that it's not worth installing a processor faster than
    this in the motherboard as it simply will not be utilised. e.g
    pointless to say install 3.8ghz 2mb l2 cache processors ??

    Please could someone enlighten me, I'm buying bits off Ebay and want
    to make sure that for this motherboard I'm taking it to the maximum
    possible.

    Thanks.

    A_Newsreader, Sep 21, 2007

  2. I don't think that's right...

    I assume the board you're talking about is the s2668, which according
    to this page:

    http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/cpu_xeon_p4.html

    can make use of a 3.2 GHz socket 604 with 2MB of L3 cache...

    Chris Sorenson, Sep 23, 2007