Favorite Cheap Slot A mobo?

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by user, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. user

    user Guest

    http://www.pcwave.com/prod-m825luv71.asp $42 (integrated video card,
    boss wants to recycle PC133 memory and likes this one)

    http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7VM2.htm $43 (integrated video,
    boss wants to recycle PC133 memory and likes this one too)

    Never heard of ASRock...

    Right now we have a sign shop with three K6-2/400 or 450 machines
    running windows 98. All have 256mb of PC 133 DRAM (2x128mb's) They are
    slow. The boss found a deal on three used AMD Duron 850's ($10 each) and
    would like to upgrade us, as cheap as possible. These two low end boards
    seem to be good choices because all the other stuff can then be moved to
    the new board. The boss actually thought we were going to be able to put
    the Durons in a Super Socket 7 board...
    While I'd like better, I'll take what I can get. Any other
    recommendations? The board must take PC133 memory and have integrated
    video (as our present boards do) because he's not going to spring for
    video cards either!
    Thanks.

    user, Nov 15, 2003

  2. user

    Ben Pope Guest

    Ben Pope, Nov 15, 2003

  3. user

    Buffalo Guest

    An ECS K7S5a Pro from NewEgg for $40. That includes the shipping and
    handling.
    It will take either SDram or DDR, but only one or the other.
    It also has USB 2.0 and will take cpu's up to an XP2600+ (266MHz, not
    333MHz).
    It has built in LAN and Sound and 4 USB ports.
    It does not include built in video.
    One note though, this motherboard seems to require a stronger
    PowerSupplyUnit than other MotherBoards.

    Buffalo, Nov 15, 2003
  4. user

    Buffalo Guest

    Sorry, I missed the part about the motherboard needing to have built in
    video. :-(

    Buffalo, Nov 15, 2003
  5. user

    user Guest

    I liked the ECS @ newegg as well. As I said, it is a very lean
    operation. I'm just glad to get a little raise and keep my job.
    When I was hired by this company in 1997, they had just purchased some
    AST machines @ Wal-Mart with AMD K5 100's and 133's. By 1999 these
    machines had developed major problems. They were replaced by locally
    assembled machines, that now despairately need to be upgraded.
    ACRocks is Asus cheaper line? This might be OK, I'll have too see the
    warranty. I guess in this price range one will end up with Sis chipsets
    and not VIA, is that a bad thing?

    user, Nov 15, 2003
  6. user

    Buffalo Guest

    I have a SIS 735 chipset in mine (XP2100+ running Win98SE) and it works just
    fine.

    Once again, the K7S5a mb does not have a built in video adapter.

    The M285LU V 7.1 A mb you mentioned only uses DDR ram, according to the
    link you provided.
    "Memory

    -Two 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets for 2.5V DDR SDRAM (DDR266/200)
    .. Maximum: 1GB (Unbuffered Memory)"

    The K7VM2 mb can use either one.

    Buffalo, Nov 15, 2003
  7. user

    SPS 700 Guest

    I have two of the ASRock K7VM2 motherboards. In fact I am posting on one
    now. They are a good choice for what you need them for. I have even
    overclocked mine. The FSB on one is 166 the other 150. I have them on for
    about 15hrs a day & they extremely stable. Mine are running XP1400 CPU's.
    They are refurbs I bought from Newegg for $23.00 apiece. Couldn't be happier
    with them.

    SPS 700, Nov 21, 2003