FDD not working after install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bob, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. bob

    bob Guest

    Hi,

    I bought this cheap clone box with no A:drive but it has working
    everything else. It works perfectly on win xp, AMD chip, with a
    single drive that take in CF/SD/MS/SM cards, and CDRW too. I
    installed a known working FDD 1.4m 3.5" correctly in the standard FDD
    port on the mother board with proper power connection. I enabled the
    FDD in the standard Cmos and it did not work. I changed the boot
    sequence to include A: in the advanced bios and it did not work. I do
    not even get the standard a: drive light coming on. Windows explorer
    does not show the a:. Then I took the new hard drive out and
    plugged in my old hard drive. I updated the drivers as needed and now
    I can recognize the a: from windows explorer and from an old MSDOS
    prompt in win 98. But if I open the a: drive from say word it will
    freeze the computer. So I suspect an IRQ problem with some other
    device or??? Can anyone help me? I do not know how to resolve IRQ
    conflicts on my new hard drive with win xp installed. I did not see an
    IRQ section in the BIOS.

    TIA!

    bob, Jun 12, 2004