    This is a weird timing problem interacting between X, initscripts, and
    Nvidia's driver (??).

    Please email if there's a fix.

    Nathan Bates, Dec 9, 2006

  2. [ Duplicate aol.redhat removed ]
    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.x.]
    Impossible to tell from the info you've provided. Is there anything odd
    in the output from dmesg? Is there anything odd in /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
    What's the output of "uname -a"? Which version of the evil binary-only
    nvidia module are you using? If you don't know that, do this:

    mallory:~$ dmesg | grep NVRM
    NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86_64 Kernel Module 1.0-8776

    ....so I'm using 8776 here (latest version marked stable in Gentoo).
    Different version#s have different problems, and it may be that an
    earlier (or later) version of the modules doesn't display the problems
    you're seeing.
    No, please post to Usenet if you have additional info. Nathan, usually
    conversations that start on Usenet should remain there (unless they get
    seriously off-topic) so that more people can talk about whatever the
    topic is. And asking for e-mailed replies has been considered gauche
    for > 10 years. HTH anyway,

    Dances With Crows, Dec 10, 2006