FIC 486-PIO-3 BIOS Flash Fails Every Time

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by Dave, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I'm trying to flash the BIOS on an old FIC 486-PIO-3 motherboard, but the
    flash utility fails before it flashes the BIOS. Details:

    · FIC 486-PIO-3 (486-PIO3 silkscreened on the motherboard); Award Modular
    BIOS v4.50G; current BIOS version 1.15G105; current BIOS string at POST is
    04/01/96-VT496G-2A4L6F0IC-00; 16MB RAM. Oddly, I have 128k cache RAM
    installed, but it reports "Cache Memory: None" on the BIOS POST info
    screen.

    · Copied the flash utility (AFLASH3.EXE) and BIOS file (1175G705.BIN) to
    blank bootable floppy; created a CONFIG.SYS file on the floppy and added
    HIMEM.SYS.

    · Booted off the floppy; started the flash utility; put in the BIOS
    filename; it starts, saying "Blanking Flash Memory - 00000 OK" then
    immediately terminates to the DOS prompt.

    · Tried flashing straight from the Command Prompt with "AFLASH3
    1175G705.BIN /Py /Sn" and it did the same thing.

    · For grins and giggles I tried using an older BIOS (115G705.AWD) with a
    different flash utility (FLASH52C.EXE) and got a similar result - the same
    message from the flash utility, but it didn't make it back to the DOS
    prompt.

    I suspect there's a jumper on the motherboard that serves to block BIOS
    writes, but I can't find anything in the documentation that indicates what
    particular jumper it may be. There are a several jumpers on the
    motherboard that aren't defined in the motherboard documentation (JP1, JP2,
    OUTLET, RESUME), but I don't want to start experimenting with mystery
    jumpers unless it's my last resort.

    Any ideas?

    TIA for the replies,

    Dave

    Dave, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Dave

    KURIAKI Guest

    1175G705.BIN is a corrupted file.
    Try with 1175J705.BIN instead.
    I'm going to send you by e-mail.
    New BIOS string looks like:
    04/08/97-VT496G-2A4L6F0IC-00

    --
    Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
    KURIAKI

    Si buscas una actualizacion de BIOS deberias visitar:
    ftp://roby.sytes.net:48
    Si no sabes que placa madre tienes, sigue este link: http://www.unicore.com/biosagent/ba.exe ejecuta el Bios Agent, salvas los resultados en el archivo bios.txt y me lo envias a esta direccion:

    KURIAKI, Aug 4, 2003