    running, XP installed. What is the easiest/quickest way I can connect
    the new computer to my old one to get all my work files? Firewire,
    USB, or Ethernet connection?

    arctec, Jan 10, 2005

  2. arctec

    Jeff Guest

    1. You can use a network crossover cable connecting the two PC's
    This requires that you buy or build a crossover cable. The transfer will
    only be as fast as your NIC allows.

    2. you can temporally install the HD from the old PC into the new PC and
    copy the files.
    This cost nothing, takes 5 minutes, and has a faster transfer speed.

    Jeff

    Jeff, Jan 10, 2005

  3. arctec

    Ben Pope Guest

    Quickest and easiest connection is ethernet.

    Quickest transfer is installing the hard drive. By a long way.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jan 10, 2005
  4. arctec

    Tom S Guest

    Just to expand a little on that, one would temporarily install the hard
    drive from the old machine into the new machine - usually as a slave on the
    primary IDE bus (which requires changing the jumper on the drive). Most
    computers have an extra connector on the ribbon cable for the second hard
    drive. If there isn't one there, you can buy an IDE cable with three
    connectors for cheap. You might also need a splitter for the power cable if
    there isn't an unused one available already in the machine.

    Tom S

    Tom S, Jan 17, 2005
  5. arctec

    P2B Guest

    I would choose restore from backup as the quickest and easiest solution.
    If it's not, perhaps the backup system is deficient - or non-existent ;-)

    P2B

    P2B, Jan 21, 2005