    achieve this ?

    Thanks in advance for your time & help. Regards

    Ram

    ramsonney, Jul 11, 2007

  2. ramsonney

    cs_posting Guest

    Samba is a set of tools that lets linux be a client and/or server of
    windows (smb) file sharing. If your linux system has the resources,
    that would be very transparent once configured.

    If your linux system is very small, you can get a tftp client & server
    for windows, but that's mostly for transfering one file at a time.

    You could also put an NFS share on the linux system and get and NFS
    client for windows, or run a normal FTP client, or build in a web
    server... And I'm sure there are a dozen other methods.

    But Samba if you can support it, and tftp for moving occasional files,
    are good common choices.

    Incidentally, you may also want to look at installing the cygwin
    environment on the windows machine, to let you more easily deal with
    unix type files and tasks.

    cs_posting, Jul 11, 2007

  3. ramsonney

    larwe Guest

    The "right" choice depends on the application. If this device is
    supposed to look like a file server, and other application software
    will be used to access it, then as cs_post said, samba is probably the
    best choice. Your Linux device will appear in Network Neighborhood (or
    equivalent browser, e.g. on MacOS) and the user can read/write it like
    any other shared volume.

    However there is no way of providing a user interface over samba. You
    might be better off implementing an HTTP-based system if you want to
    manage the files that the user is adding to/removing from the system.

    larwe, Jul 11, 2007
  4. ramsonney

    Ali Guest

    Ram, as pointed by other posters that samba is the very good choice to
    get by. And, in case you want to avoid samba then have look at Boa
    [ http://www.boa.org/0.92/ ] web server. It is a single-tasking HTTP
    server so that means very less resources are required which makes it
    good candidate for embedded systems. You can write a simple app on
    client side (*nix, *dos) for file transfer.

    ali

    Ali, Jul 12, 2007