    over FAT32 for a Windows XP SP1 fresh installation?

    Thanks,

    Centroid

    Centroid, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Centroid

    Martijn Stam Guest

    NTFS is designed for NT systems and has a lot more features like indeed
    better performance and more security options.
    My advise: Always use NTFS where possible.

    Search google all for the differences...

    Martijn Stam

    Martijn Stam, Jan 2, 2004

  3. If you don't need the additional security features of NTFS then avoid it
    like the plague it is. There's nothing to be gained and much potential for
    loss.

    Colon Terminus, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Centroid

    Rick Guest

    Performance? No. If you need file or folder-level security, or
    individual file sizes over 4GB then NTFS is your only option.
    But personally I agree with CT. The first time you need direct
    access to your boot partition to repair corruption or to rename/
    delete/replace files because of an errant driver/software install
    or upgrade, virus etc etc you'll be _very_ glad you formatted
    with FAT32. Just boot off a Win98 DOS floppy.

    Rick

    Rick, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Centroid

    Martijn Stam Guest

    Or just boot off with your win2000/xp cdrom...

    Martijn Stam

    Martijn Stam, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Yes? And then what? What tools do you have available when booted from the
    CD-ROM? Hell, the Recovery Console doesn't even provide you with an "Edit"
    command.

    Colon Terminus, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Centroid

    - HAL9000 Guest

    I hear they have a new file system in the next generation of xp
    (longhorn). Cross your fingers...

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Centroid

    /.. Guest

    By Fri, 2 Jan 2004 09:38:34 -0800, "Rick" <>
    decided to post "Re: Filesystem and performance" to
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit:

    Buurp. Ext2/3 for large file/directory sizes and file/directory
    level security? And, to access ntfs partitions, ntfs-dos. It can be
    done.

    /ts

    --

    exec rm -r /bin/laden*

    "We are stardust, we are golden,
    And we've got to get ourselves back to the Garden"
    Joni Mitchell

    /.., Jan 8, 2004