filesystem numbering on OSX

Discussion in 'Apple' started by dave, Jun 22, 2005.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    If I have an external FireWire drive and I logout,
    the FireWire drive is dismounted by MacOS.

    Try it. Enable SSH, logout and then from another computer,
    ssh in and cd to /Volumes -- the FireWire disk loses
    both the mount and the mountpoint.

    With the disktook command, you can get the disk
    remounted from the shell:

    disktool -m disk1

    However, what if you have TWO FireWire drives?
    This would be easy to fix doing it interactively
    with:

    disktool -m disk1
    disktool -m disk2

    but what if you are writing a shell script to
    accomplish this for a cronjob backup?

    Do I have to use the above two commands no matter what
    simply because I don't know if the user may have attached
    a 2nd FireWire drive?

    In addition, CDs seem to always mount as disk2 but
    I'm not 100% sure. Does anyone know the rules
    for filesystem numbering in OSX (10.3 and later)
    or can point me to a website that explains this?
    Thanks a bunch.

    dave, Jun 22, 2005