[Finder] How does the OSX finder sort in column mode?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Revanant Morituri, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. Seriously guys...

    Personally, I don't use it: not as informative as List mode, and not
    as powerful as just having two windows open. But dialogue boxes,
    like Open and Save, do, and any folder viewed that way has some very
    funky sorting involved.

    Take my Downloads folder, where everything coming into my machine
    passes through, for example. A random daily example of column
    view display:

    Daily Snapshots off webpage folder
    GardenPic01.jpg
    GardenPic02.jpg
    Excell File 0835
    GardenPic03.jpg
    GardenPic04.jpg
    HannaYoriDango.mp3
    GardenPic05.jpg
    GardenPic06.jpg
    GardenPic07.jpg
    JustanotherPic.jpg

    Not quite alphabetized, and not quite in date modified/created
    order either: while the mp3 may have been downloaded about that
    point in respect to the pictures, the Excell File has been there
    for weeks.

    Any thoughts? Any good ideas on how to set a preference and
    make it sort 'normally'. Any genius savior out there who knows
    of an App to disengage 'smart sorting? (Sorry, different rant...)

    Thanks!

    Revanant Morituri, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Revanant Morituri

    ZnU Guest

    It sorts alphabetically, with natural number sorting. How you managed to
    get it to do whatever it's doing above, I have no idea; there's no way
    to change the sort order for column view. If I create a folder with
    files named exactly as above, the sort order is:

    Daily Snapshots off webpage folder
    Excell File 0835
    GardenPic01.jpg
    GardenPic02.jpg
    GardenPic03.jpg
    GardenPic04.jpg
    GardenPic05.jpg
    GardenPic06.jpg
    GardenPic07.jpg
    HannaYoriDango.mp3
    JustanotherPic.jpg

    I use column view almost exclusively, and I've never seen it sort any
    other way. Maybe this is some sort of localization issue? Make sure your
    settings in the International preference pane look right.

    ZnU, Oct 16, 2003