    each directory and the directories disappeared to where they should be. This
    programmer knows his stuff.

    rtt

    Richard Tomkins, Jan 6, 2006

  2. Richard Tomkins

    Tom Stiller Guest

    Prior to Tiger, there was a file, /.hidden, that contained the names of
    files that should be hidden away from the "typical" user.

    Tiger changed the mechanism, but I don't know the new method.

    Tom Stiller, Jan 6, 2006

  3. I don't know what the new mechanism is either but the chap that wrote Xray
    does.

    I suspect that they did hits to speed up access to the disk, so somehow they
    are embedding the data in the filesystem, possibly found an unused bit or
    two in the directory structure that may in fact, not get handled properly
    until others figure it out. Do you hear me people at LaCie developing
    SilverKeeper?

    rtt

    Richard Tomkins, Jan 6, 2006
  4. Richard Tomkins

    Brian Hughes Guest

    The mechanism is just setting the "invisible" flag, that's been around
    forever. It made more sense to use it vs. the .hidden file as the
    "hidden" files were only hidden on the boot disk. I don't, however, know
    why a restored image doesn't preserve that flag.
    I recently did a an image restore with Apple's Disk Utility and I had
    the same problem. I also used XRay but it's good for a lot more than
    just the invisible flag.

    Looking at the support document, it looks like it has you modify the
    disk image so that the files that should be hidden are hidden. That way,
    if you use the image to restore in the future, those files will be
    hidden as they should be.

    Brian Hughes, Jan 6, 2006
  5. This doesn't seem to be the case. I cleared the invisible flag on /etc/
    and restart the Finder a few times, but it did not appear.

    Steven Fisher, Jan 6, 2006
  6. Actually, that is what all the fuss was about as the Finders hidden flag had
    no effect on the folders in question.

    No, something else is being done. Someone who knows the internals of the
    file system knows what's going on.

    I had also tried SetFile and GetFileInfo in an attempt to make them hidden.

    rtt

    Richard Tomkins, Jan 6, 2006
  7. Richard Tomkins

    Brian Hughes Guest

    You have to set the invisible flag on the alias, not the folder it
    points to. Some utilities always resolve the alias to the original. I
    think with XRay it can be set to not resolve it.

    I just tried it with XRay and cleared the invisible flag on the /etc,
    /var, and /tmp aliases, then relaunched the Finder. They are now
    visible. I was going to do that anyway, I find it easier to get around
    in the internals.

    Brian Hughes, Jan 6, 2006