Firefox 29 UI comment

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, May 21, 2014.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Accepted the "suggestion" to upgrade to 29.0.1 which was to be just a
    security update. Didn't realise I was at 28 and that this was far more
    than a security update. Spent a few hours undoing the UI changes,
    installing the "classic theme restorer" extension and then within it,
    having to play with settings.

    The one thing I was not able to undo: grabbing anywhere in the top bars
    (not just the title bar) causes the window to move. Fairly annoying.

    (on my machine, a slight move of a window causing it to overlap into the
    adjoining screen causes major performance degradation).


    Is it normal that applications can designate areas inside the window as
    grabbable for purpose of moving window ? I thought this was limited to
    the title bar.

    Or is this a case of Firefox creating a huge title bar, and faking a
    real one inside (it can be removed, and in fact is removed by default).
     
    JF Mezei, May 21, 2014
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. In article <537c6faa$0$10193$c3e8da3$>, JF
    Mezei <> wrote:

    > Is it normal that applications can designate areas inside the window as
    > grabbable for purpose of moving window ? I thought this was limited to
    > the title bar.


    Yes, it is normal that it can be done. Check out Apple's Calculator
    app for example.

    It is not usual that it is done.
     
    Michelle Steiner, May 21, 2014
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. JF Mezei

    Lewis Guest

    In message <537c6faa$0$10193$c3e8da3$>
    JF Mezei <> wrote:
    > Accepted the "suggestion" to upgrade to 29.0.1 which was to be just a
    > security update. Didn't realise I was at 28 and that this was far more
    > than a security update. Spent a few hours undoing the UI changes,
    > installing the "classic theme restorer" extension and then within it,
    > having to play with settings.


    Firefox has been in a steady decline since they started their new
    numbering scheme. There are a few things it does better than other
    browsers, but overall, it's a lethargic behmouth with the turning radius
    of an aircraft carrier and it makes the worst versions of IE look like
    nibble ballet dancers by comparison.

    I don't run it.

    > Is it normal that applications can designate areas inside the window as
    > grabbable for purpose of moving window ? I thought this was limited to
    > the title bar.


    > Or is this a case of Firefox creating a huge title bar, and faking a
    > real one inside (it can be removed, and in fact is removed by default).


    That would be my guess.

    --
    'It's always a good thing to let a few tales spread, you know. Pour
    encouragy le-poor encoura-to make everyone sit up and damn well take
    notice.' --Eric
     
    Lewis, May 21, 2014
    #3
  4. JF Mezei

    Guest

    Lewis <> writes:

    > Firefox has been in a steady decline since they started their new
    > numbering scheme. There are a few things it does better than other
    > browsers, but overall, it's a lethargic behmouth with the turning radius
    > of an aircraft carrier and it makes the worst versions of IE look like
    > nibble ballet dancers by comparison.


    Sadly, this describes it perfectly. Why? The maintainers not only
    don't give a shit about the users (check the Mozilla discusion threads
    if you don't believe that), but when they're not busy ruining FF, they
    are working hard to dumb it down to their own level of moronity.

    > I don't run it.


    I think it peaked around v17 (an extended support release). Or, it
    was still bearable then. I've kept that one, but I don't often use
    it.

    Billy Y..
    --
    sub #'9+1 ,r0 ; convert ascii byte
    add #9.+1 ,r0 ; to an integer
    bcc 20$ ; not a number
     
    , May 21, 2014
    #4
  5. On 5/21/14, 10:11 AM, Lewis wrote:
    > In message <537c6faa$0$10193$c3e8da3$>
    > JF Mezei <> wrote:
    >> Accepted the "suggestion" to upgrade to 29.0.1 which was to be just a
    >> security update. Didn't realise I was at 28 and that this was far more
    >> than a security update. Spent a few hours undoing the UI changes,
    >> installing the "classic theme restorer" extension and then within it,
    >> having to play with settings.

    >
    > Firefox has been in a steady decline since they started their new
    > numbering scheme. There are a few things it does better than other
    > browsers, but overall, it's a lethargic behmouth with the turning radius
    > of an aircraft carrier and it makes the worst versions of IE look like
    > nibble ballet dancers by comparison.
    >
    > I don't run it.
    >


    When Mozilla fired CEO Brandon Eich for having/supporting ideas that are
    different from their ultra-lib orthodoxy, I told my IT manager to take
    Firefox off all computers in my company and to block it from accessing
    our websites.

    And yup, I check the parking lot for lib candidate or cause- supporting
    bumper stickers at salary review time or before a layoff. And when an
    employment candidate checks-in at the security gate guard shack to enter
    company property, the guard give HR a heads-up if there's one on his
    bumper too. It's a short interview;-)


    --
    Question for liberals: If the rich didn’t create all that wealth...who
    would you take it from?
     
    Travis Bickle, May 21, 2014
    #5
  6. JF Mezei

    Lewis Guest

    In message <llj3q3$5np$>
    Travis Bickle <> wrote:
    > And yup, I check the parking lot for lib candidate or cause- supporting
    > bumper stickers at salary review time or before a layoff. And when an
    > employment candidate checks-in at the security gate guard shack to enter
    > company property, the guard give HR a heads-up if there's one on his
    > bumper too. It's a short interview;-)


    What company so that I can warn other people you're an asshole?

    --
    They all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and
    you know, they've all made themselves a part of something and they can
    talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? "I killed the president of
    Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?"
     
    Lewis, May 21, 2014
    #6
  7. JF Mezei

    J Burns Guest

    On 5/21/14, 6:53 PM, Lewis wrote:
    > In message <llj3q3$5np$>
    > Travis Bickle <> wrote:
    >> And yup, I check the parking lot for lib candidate or cause- supporting
    >> bumper stickers at salary review time or before a layoff. And when an
    >> employment candidate checks-in at the security gate guard shack to enter
    >> company property, the guard give HR a heads-up if there's one on his
    >> bumper too. It's a short interview;-)

    >
    > What company so that I can warn other people you're an asshole?
    >

    Yellow Cab. Travis Bickle used to be a leftist radical. He wanted to
    put bumper stickers on his car but the boss wouldn't let him.
    http://movieclips.com/iBqa-taxi-driver-movie-travis-supports-palantine/
     
    J Burns, May 22, 2014
    #7
  8. In article <llj3q3$5np$>, Travis Bickle
    <> wrote:

    > When Mozilla fired CEO Brandon Eich for having/supporting ideas that are
    > different from their ultra-lib orthodoxy, I told my IT manager to take
    > Firefox off all computers in my company and to block it from accessing
    > our websites.


    That's your prerogative. I don't patronize ultra-right companies like
    Hobby Lobby, Chik-fil-a (well, another reason is that their product
    tastes terrible), and Exxon-Mobile, for similar reasons.

    It's also the reason that sponsors are fleeing from Rush Limbaugh's
    show in droves.

    But by denying Firefox access to your company's web site, you're
    hurting your own business.
     
    Michelle Steiner, May 22, 2014
    #8
  9. JF Mezei

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <>,
    Lewis <> wrote:

    > In message <llj3q3$5np$>
    > Travis Bickle <> wrote:
    > > And yup, I check the parking lot for lib candidate or cause- supporting
    > > bumper stickers at salary review time or before a layoff. And when an
    > > employment candidate checks-in at the security gate guard shack to enter
    > > company property, the guard give HR a heads-up if there's one on his
    > > bumper too. It's a short interview;-)

    >
    > What company so that I can warn other people you're an asshole?


    More importantly, so I can make certain I never give that company so
    much as a nickel I've used to scrape dog shit out of the tread of my
    shoe.

    (I also find it amusing that he's offering, on a public forum, evidence
    that he's violating multiple employment laws - assuming, of course, that
    he isn't just one more in a long line of mom's-basement-dwelling trolls
    that have gone through here over the years - I suspect that's the more
    likely reality.)

    --
    Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q
     
    Don Bruder, May 22, 2014
    #9
  10. In article <lljjll$s30$>, Don Bruder <>
    wrote:

    > (I also find it amusing that he's offering, on a public forum, evidence
    > that he's violating multiple employment laws - assuming, of course, that
    > he isn't just one more in a long line of mom's-basement-dwelling trolls
    > that have gone through here over the years - I suspect that's the more
    > likely reality.)


    Nope; he's one of the regulars, recycled.

    but he's not violating any employment laws because his company is
    fictitious.
     
    Michelle Steiner, May 22, 2014
    #10
  11. JF Mezei

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <210520141830493395%>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <lljjll$s30$>, Don Bruder <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > (I also find it amusing that he's offering, on a public forum, evidence
    > > that he's violating multiple employment laws - assuming, of course, that
    > > he isn't just one more in a long line of mom's-basement-dwelling trolls
    > > that have gone through here over the years - I suspect that's the more
    > > likely reality.)

    >
    > Nope; he's one of the regulars, recycled.
    >
    > but he's not violating any employment laws because his company is
    > fictitious.


    Somehow I suspected as much. Anybody who knows anything about HR beyond
    "It's where you send your resume when you're looking for a job" knows -
    or should - that practices such as he describes are all but guaranteed
    to cost a company a metric buttload of cash as quick as the local
    labor-law enforcement folks get wind of it.

    --
    Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q
     
    Don Bruder, May 22, 2014
    #11
  12. In article <llj3q3$5np$>,
    Travis Bickle <> wrote:

    > When Mozilla fired CEO Brandon Eich for having/supporting ideas that are
    > different from their ultra-lib orthodoxy, I told my IT manager to take
    > Firefox off all computers in my company and to block it from accessing
    > our websites.
    >
    > And yup, I check the parking lot for lib candidate or cause- supporting
    > bumper stickers at salary review time or before a layoff. And when an
    > employment candidate checks-in at the security gate guard shack to enter
    > company property, the guard give HR a heads-up if there's one on his
    > bumper too. It's a short interview;-)


    Does the dictionary entry for "hypocrite" have a picture of you?

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
     
    Barry Margolin, May 22, 2014
    #12
  13. On 5/21/14, 9:26 PM, Don Bruder wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Lewis <> wrote:
    >
    >> In message <llj3q3$5np$>
    >> Travis Bickle <> wrote:
    >>> And yup, I check the parking lot for lib candidate or cause- supporting
    >>> bumper stickers at salary review time or before a layoff. And when an
    >>> employment candidate checks-in at the security gate guard shack to enter
    >>> company property, the guard give HR a heads-up if there's one on his
    >>> bumper too. It's a short interview;-)

    >>
    >> What company so that I can warn other people you're an asshole?

    >
    > More importantly, so I can make certain I never give that company so
    > much as a nickel I've used to scrape dog shit out of the tread of my
    > shoe.
    >
    > (I also find it amusing that he's offering, on a public forum, evidence
    > that he's violating multiple employment laws - assuming, of course, that
    > he isn't just one more in a long line of mom's-basement-dwelling trolls
    > that have gone through here over the years - I suspect that's the more
    > likely reality.)
    >


    Violating labor laws? Nope, afraid not.

    1. It's a privately held company. 2. I don't do business with any
    governmental agency. 3. We're neither a common carrier nor offer public
    accommodations. 4. And most importantly-- none of the slacker/moochers I
    won't hire or promote are members of any designated protected class.
    Thus, no laws are being broken.

    So while the self-appointed Grievance Industry agitators may not like
    the way I do business, there's nothing they can do about it other than
    rant and community-organize boisterous protests outside my gate. And
    frankly, when my highly conservative customer base sees those ass-hats
    on the evening news, they're inclined to give me even more of their
    business. So thanks for the free advertising. boychiks;-)

    --
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are
    willing to work and give to those who would not.
    --Thomas Jefferson
     
    Travis Bickle, May 22, 2014
    #13
  14. On 5/21/14, 8:50 PM, Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > In article <llj3q3$5np$>, Travis Bickle
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> When Mozilla fired CEO Brandon Eich for having/supporting ideas that are
    >> different from their ultra-lib orthodoxy, I told my IT manager to take
    >> Firefox off all computers in my company and to block it from accessing
    >> our websites.

    >
    > That's your prerogative. I don't patronize ultra-right companies like
    > Hobby Lobby, Chik-fil-a (well, another reason is that their product
    > tastes terrible), and Exxon-Mobile, for similar reasons.
    >
    > It's also the reason that sponsors are fleeing from Rush Limbaugh's
    > show in droves.
    >
    > But by denying Firefox access to your company's web site, you're
    > hurting your own business.
    >


    In response:
    1. Actually, my company doesn't want business from you and your ilk; it
    might drive off some folks in our key demographic and customer base.

    2. In actual fact, ad revenues for Rush Limbaugh and most other major
    conservative talk radio shows are flourishing. It's the few remaining
    liberal talk radio shows that are circling the drain due to a paucity of
    advertisers and listeners.

    3. If I lose a little business, so be it. Making a statement/operating
    on principle is more important than a little lost revenue.

    --
    There are two distinct classes of men in the nation: those who pay
    taxes, and those who receive and live upon the taxes
    —Thomas Paine, 1792 (via @jeff_jacoby)
     
    Travis Bickle, May 22, 2014
    #14
  15. On 5/22/14, 10:27 AM, Barry Margolin wrote:
    > In article <llj3q3$5np$>,
    > Travis Bickle <> wrote:
    >
    >> When Mozilla fired CEO Brandon Eich for having/supporting ideas that are
    >> different from their ultra-lib orthodoxy, I told my IT manager to take
    >> Firefox off all computers in my company and to block it from accessing
    >> our websites.
    >>
    >> And yup, I check the parking lot for lib candidate or cause- supporting
    >> bumper stickers at salary review time or before a layoff. And when an
    >> employment candidate checks-in at the security gate guard shack to enter
    >> company property, the guard give HR a heads-up if there's one on his
    >> bumper too. It's a short interview;-)

    >
    > Does the dictionary entry for "hypocrite" have a picture of you?
    >


    Better check your own dictionary before you post again, Barry my lad.

    You'll note that a hypocrite is a person who pretends to have virtues,
    moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not
    actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

    If you look at my post, it's obvious that my actions and beliefs are all
    consistent. eh?

    I am curious about something though. Your sig mentions MIT. Were you
    actually a student there-- or just a part-time janitor? Maybe walked by
    the campus one time on your way to the free clinic?



    --
    Your taxes are high because you support lots of folks who can't be
    bothered with working. They ever say thanks-- or can I mow your lawn? Nope.
    --@KelsowFarlander
     
    Travis Bickle, May 22, 2014
    #15
  16. JF Mezei

    Lewis Guest

    In message <lll2ll$q27$>
    Travis Bickle <> wrote:
    > 2. In actual fact, ad revenues for Rush Limbaugh and most other major
    > conservative talk radio shows are flourishing.


    That is a lie. I suspect everything you say is a lie, but I *know* that
    one is a lie. Ad revenue on Rush is down 90%. The only reason it's on
    the air at all is because Clear Channel Fuckheads are willing to lose
    money on it. Rush has lost *every* national advertiser and is living off
    gold scammers, local realtors and car dealers, and consirvitard
    websites.

    Every national ad agency has "exclude Limbaugh and Hannity" clauses in
    their ad buys. They are being propped up by a consirvitard company, but
    they are losing millions per year. Clear Channel will never recover the
    money they paid to Limbaugh.

    --
    The most perfidious way of harming a cause consists of defending it
    deliberately with faulty arguments.
     
    Lewis, May 22, 2014
    #16
  17. JF Mezei

    Alan Browne Guest

    On 2014.05.21, 16:54 , Travis Bickle wrote:
    > On 5/21/14, 10:11 AM, Lewis wrote:
    >> In message <537c6faa$0$10193$c3e8da3$>
    >> JF Mezei <> wrote:
    >>> Accepted the "suggestion" to upgrade to 29.0.1 which was to be just a
    >>> security update. Didn't realise I was at 28 and that this was far more
    >>> than a security update. Spent a few hours undoing the UI changes,
    >>> installing the "classic theme restorer" extension and then within it,
    >>> having to play with settings.

    >>
    >> Firefox has been in a steady decline since they started their new
    >> numbering scheme. There are a few things it does better than other
    >> browsers, but overall, it's a lethargic behmouth with the turning radius
    >> of an aircraft carrier and it makes the worst versions of IE look like
    >> nibble ballet dancers by comparison.
    >>
    >> I don't run it.
    >>

    >
    > When Mozilla fired CEO Brandon Eich for having/supporting ideas that are
    > different from their ultra-lib orthodoxy, I told my IT manager to take
    > Firefox off all computers in my company and to block it from accessing
    > our websites.


    "Block it from accessing our websites"

    Why would anyone do such a self defeating thing?

    >
    > And yup, I check the parking lot for lib candidate or cause- supporting
    > bumper stickers at salary review time or before a layoff. And when an
    > employment candidate checks-in at the security gate guard shack to enter
    > company property, the guard give HR a heads-up if there's one on his
    > bumper too. It's a short interview;-)


    Right. Fantasy boss in mom's basement.


    --
    I was born a 1%er - I'm just more equal than the rest.
     
    Alan Browne, May 22, 2014
    #17
  18. Travis Bickle wrote:

    >> Does the dictionary entry for "hypocrite" have a picture of you?


    > Better check your own dictionary before you post again, Barry my lad.


    […]

    > In response:
    > 1. Actually, my company doesn't want business from you and your ilk;


    "Ilk is a Scots word meaning same. It is not a noun meaning kind, sort
    or kidney. 'James Sporran of that ilk' means 'James Sporran of Sporran';
    it shows that he lives on the estate that bears the family name and
    distinguishes him from his cousins, the Sporrans of Glenhaggis, and his
    distant kinsmen, the Sporrans of Upper Tooting. The schoolmaster who
    wrote to The Times about the damage done to the BBC by 'Mrs Whitehouse
    and her ilk' should write out fifty times 'I must not use words I do not
    understand.' "

    (Sir Ernest Gowers, The Complete Plain Words)

    What was that about checking dictionaries?

    Paul Magnussen
     
    Paul Magnussen, May 22, 2014
    #18
  19. In article <lll2ll$q27$>, Travis Bickle
    <> wrote:

    > 1. Actually, my company doesn't want business from you and your ilk; it
    > might drive off some folks in our key demographic and customer base.


    As if any of your customers know what the political affiliations of
    other customers are. Not that you actually have a business or
    customers.

    > 2. In actual fact, ad revenues for Rush Limbaugh and most other major
    > conservative talk radio shows are flourishing.


    His ratings are plummeting and advertisers are leaving him in droves:

    <http://radioink.com/Article.asp?id=2649276&spid=24698>

    "Forty-eight of the top 50 network advertisers have ³excluded Rush and
    Hannity² orders. Every major national ad agency has the same dictate."

    Admittedly, that was about a year ago, and Limbaugh has since switched
    from Cumulus to Clear Channel; however, his ratings on those Clear
    Channel stations are abysmal.

    > 3. If I lose a little business, so be it. Making a statement/operating
    > on principle is more important than a little lost revenue.


    Actually, I agree with that. It's a shame, though, that your
    principles are detrimental to the well being of the country, and the
    world, for that matter.
     
    Michelle Steiner, May 22, 2014
    #19
  20. JF Mezei

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <lll1mc$o4l$>,
    Travis Bickle <> wrote:

    > On 5/21/14, 9:26 PM, Don Bruder wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Lewis <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> In message <llj3q3$5np$>
    > >> Travis Bickle <> wrote:
    > >>> And yup, I check the parking lot for lib candidate or cause- supporting
    > >>> bumper stickers at salary review time or before a layoff. And when an
    > >>> employment candidate checks-in at the security gate guard shack to enter
    > >>> company property, the guard give HR a heads-up if there's one on his
    > >>> bumper too. It's a short interview;-)
    > >>
    > >> What company so that I can warn other people you're an asshole?

    > >
    > > More importantly, so I can make certain I never give that company so
    > > much as a nickel I've used to scrape dog shit out of the tread of my
    > > shoe.
    > >
    > > (I also find it amusing that he's offering, on a public forum, evidence
    > > that he's violating multiple employment laws - assuming, of course, that
    > > he isn't just one more in a long line of mom's-basement-dwelling trolls
    > > that have gone through here over the years - I suspect that's the more
    > > likely reality.)
    > >

    >
    > Violating labor laws? Nope, afraid not.
    >
    > 1. It's a privately held company.


    If it existed, that might be true. Doesn't change the reality that
    privately held or not, the labor laws must be followed.

    > 2. I don't do business with any governmental agency.


    That's good. Means I don't give you any money indirectly through my
    taxes. Well, it would, if this company of yours existed outside your
    imagination.

    > 3. We're neither a common carrier nor offer public accommodations.


    I'll buy that - since an imaginary company can't offer much of anything
    to anybody other than the one pretending it exists.

    > 4. And most importantly-- none of the slacker/moochers I
    > won't hire or promote are members of any designated protected class.


    Since they don't exist anywhere outside your imagination, I guess I
    haven't got a choice but to admit that last one is true - one generally
    doesn't need to pay imaginary employees.

    > Thus, no laws are being broken.


    Of course not - it's hard for an imaginary company to do anything at
    all, never mind anything illegal.

    > So while the self-appointed Grievance Industry agitators may not like
    > the way I do business, there's nothing they can do about it other than
    > rant and community-organize boisterous protests outside my gate. And
    > frankly, when my highly conservative customer base sees those ass-hats
    > on the evening news, they're inclined to give me even more of their
    > business. So thanks for the free advertising. boychiks;-)


    Keep on dreaming, basement-boy.

    --
    Security provided by Mssrs Smith and/or Wesson. Brought to you by the letter Q
     
    Don Bruder, May 22, 2014
    #20
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Ken_B

    Abit VA-10 comment

    Ken_B, Apr 4, 2004, in forum: Abit
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    649
    Ken_B
    Apr 7, 2004
  2. Zeneca

    Any comment to K8V Deluxe?

    Zeneca, Nov 10, 2003, in forum: Asus
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    440
    Zeneca
    Nov 10, 2003
  3. xtz

    just a comment

    xtz, Nov 16, 2003, in forum: Asus
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    507
  4. jhgd
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    554
  5. Digital Puer

    Please comment on this SB65G2 system

    Digital Puer, Jan 29, 2004, in forum: Shuttle
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    595
    audioaficionado
    Feb 4, 2004
  6. Was Curious

    last comment

    Was Curious, Nov 2, 2003, in forum: Dell
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    730
  7. SMF

    Comment - dell mcafee

    SMF, Apr 18, 2004, in forum: Dell
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    971
    brane_ded
    Apr 21, 2004
  8. TheNIGHTCRAWLER

    Dell support comment (read feedback)

    TheNIGHTCRAWLER, Jul 28, 2005, in forum: Dell
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    431
    KenStahl
    Aug 1, 2005
Loading...