Firefox Tweak

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Scott, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    I thought I'd pass on to everyone a very good tweak for the Firefox
    browser. It definitely speeded up page loading:

    * Run Firefox? Have broadband? Here's Speed Tips

    Here's something for broadband people that will really speed up
    Firefox:

    1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return.
    Scroll down and look for the following entries:
    network.http.pipelining
    network.http.proxy.pipelining
    network.http.pipelining.maxrequests
    Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a
    time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once,
    which really speeds up page loading.

    2. Alter the entries as follows:
    Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"
    Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"
    Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30.
    This means it will make 30 requests at once.

    3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name
    it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This
    value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts
    on information it receives. If you're using a broadband
    connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

    Scott

    Scott, Feb 5, 2005

  2. Scott

    John Hale Guest

    I tried it, and it does help, but there's also controversy about using
    this setup, since these settings bombard a site with up to 30
    simultaneous sessions or more, and a site can crash at around 100. See

    I went back to my default settings after reading this, and with my new
    eMachines computer from Gateway(there's gettnng back on topic!), Firefox
    is loading pages fast enough.

    John Hale, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Scott

    Scott Guest

    John,

    Wow, thanks for the input. I had no idea this is a controversial tweak. I checked
    the Pcmag discussion forum, and it's still not clear whether it's a detriment to
    website servers or not. I'll keep monitoring the issue.

    Where did you get your new eMachine...online or retail? There's been discussion
    about Gateways purchased at Best Buy that do not include toll-free tech support.

    Scott

    Scott, Feb 7, 2005
  4. Scott

    John Hale Guest

    I bought it at Circuit City; I hadn't heard about the support problem
    for Gateways at Best Buy. While at Best Buy the other day I noticed the
    Gateways there just looked like eMachines with Gateway labels.
    Thanksfully I've had no problems with my new computer yet, so support
    hasn't been an issue.

    John Hale, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Scott

    Scott Guest

    John,

    I wouldn't worry about it. The way GW tech support is going these days, you'll
    probably get more help from this group or from a computer friend. I've got a
    10-year old GW P5-90 that keeps chugging along nicely. Also at home, I have
    a 3-year old GW 700X desktop and a 2-year old GW 5150XL notebook (both with
    Win XP Pro), and I haven't had any reason yet to call tech support on either
    one. So, im my personal experience, Gateway still builds 'em good.

    Scott

    Scott, Feb 16, 2005
  6. Scott

    Ben Myers Guest

    Well, if Gateway would farm out its warranty service to members of this
    newsgroup, there would be no need to them to have any tech support at all.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Scott

    sharpsmiley

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2012
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks

    Nice.Firefox Browser is fast one..Using that you can upload and download anything fast.I used this steps now my Firefox version 5 is very fast..So it's nice tips.You can use it .I have now checked my uploading and downloading speed at IP-Details.com the speed is Good.

    sharpsmiley, Feb 20, 2012