    So whatever caused the FW800 to "die" was not hardware, but something
    unreported, unlogged, undiagnosed in the system somewhere. Installing
    Lion possibly cleared that up.

    Alan Browne, Dec 19, 2011

  2. Alan Browne

    Tim McNamara Guest

    Weird.

    Cool!

    But weird.

    --
    "The surprising thing about humanity is that Man sacrifices his health in
    order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And
    then he is so anxious about the future that he doesn't enjoy the present; the
    result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as
    if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived"
    - Dalai Lama

    Tim McNamara, Dec 19, 2011

  3. Alan Browne

    Paul Sture Guest

    When did you try it? My Time Machine backups got painfully slow one day
    this summer and investigation showed that my external Firewire 800 drive
    appeared to be dead.

    I switched it off for 24 hours then tried again and it worked fine. I
    concluded it must have been the heat.

    Paul Sture, Dec 20, 2011
  4. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    When it died, originally, I tried all manner of tests and fixes. It was
    dead on two devices, so seemed to be the iMac's FW800 port. Ordered new
    cables. Re-booted numerous times, tried it again a few times over a
    week or so. That was many months ago (last spring, actually).

    Then yesterday I tried it as described. The only thing I can think of
    is the Lion install (it may be something else...)

    Alan Browne, Dec 20, 2011
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    When it goes my way, I'll take weird!

    Alan Browne, Dec 20, 2011
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Yes I posted. And yes it appeared in the System Profiler at the time -
    one of the things I checked before even posting about it.
    Not in this case - looked entirely normal. Of course I don't have what
    it reported then v. now. Maybe there was something missing at the time
    but I couldn't tell.

    Alan Browne, Dec 20, 2011
  7. Alan Browne

    Fred Moore Guest

    And had you tried an SMU reset at that time? It's been known to
    resurrect dead Firewire and USB ports on occasion.

    Fred Moore, Dec 20, 2011
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Had you or someone advised that when I posted many months ago I would have.

    Alan Browne, Dec 20, 2011
  9. If you had checked the Apple help you probably would have found it. I
    had to reset the SMU a couple time on the Ol Mirror Door Mac

    Ralph E Lindberg, Dec 20, 2011
  10. Alan Browne

    Fred Moore Guest

    Oh? Well, I vaguely remember that discussion and thought one of us had.
    Evidently not.

    Fred Moore, Dec 20, 2011
  11. There have been reports on FW driver problems on both MacBook and
    MacBook Pro running SnowLeopard, but I've never heard of those driver
    problems on iMacs. But your experiences could point to that some iMacs
    also may have been 'infected' with that problem. Weird - but good to
    hear the problems are gone...

    Cheers, Erik Richard

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <>
    NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
    OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org

    Erik Richard Sørensen, Dec 20, 2011
  12. Alan Browne

    David Empson Guest

    In the case of a dead Firewire port, there is another step which is
    sometimes necessary: complete power down of the computer (including
    removing a laptop battery) for a few minutes. This resets the Firewire
    controller. Not sure how this is achieved on a recent model laptop with
    integrated battery.

    I have had a Firewire port die on me and be recovered through this
    technique. I've also had a Firewire port die and not be recoverable.

    David Empson, Dec 21, 2011
  13. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    This is an iMac so I'd presume powering down cuts everything on the
    motherboard.

    Alan Browne, Dec 21, 2011
  14. Might be done with the SMC-Reset. Put the Magsafe-Plug in and hold ctrl +
    Power-Switch until the front-LED is flashing three times. This resets
    anything steering power, cooling and so on.

    Bernhard Kupfer, Dec 22, 2011