Firewire PCI card not recognized on XPw/P2B rev.1.10

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Steve Lee, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. Steve Lee

    Steve Lee Guest

    I just installed a Firewire PCI card and XP just is not recognizing it
    at all. I installed the PCI card in slot 1. Was that stupid?

    I have:
    AGP slot taken up by a vidcard
    Slot 1 taken up by the Firewire PCI Card (I/O Flex)
    Slot 2 taken up by an ATA133 Controller (Adaptect)
    Slot 3 taken up by a NIC (3Com) and
    Slot 4 taken up by SB Live sound card

    In my BIOS, the IRQ designation _was_ as follows:
    Slot 1 -> IRQ 11
    Slot 2 -> IRQ 12
    Slot 3 -> IRQ 9
    Slot 4 -> IRQ7

    But, in my Device Manager, I noticed that the Vidcard's IRQ was also
    11, so I went into the BIOS and changed the Slot 1's IRQ to 10, but
    then the Vidcard's IRQ also changed to 10.

    Is the Slot 1 rendered useless because of the AGP Vidcard? Does this
    mean that everytime I wish to use Firewire card, I need to take out
    say the soundcard or the NIC and use its slot? Thanks.

    Steve Lee, Nov 11, 2003

  2. Steve Lee

    Steve Lee Guest

    I forgot to mention that I do have the latest BIOS installed. Thanks!

    Steve Lee, Nov 11, 2003

  3. Steve Lee

    gemron Guest

    Yep. on the P2B the AGP slot shares its resources with the first slot. You
    might have luck in finding a device that will allow them to play nice but
    you will have to experiment with switching cards. Did you go to the asus
    site and download a copy of the manual? A cheap way out might be to pick up
    a usb network adapter, thus freeing up that slot.

    gemron, Nov 11, 2003
  4. Steve Lee

    Steve Lee Guest

    I see, I see. Thanks for your reply, gemron. I'll check out the
    manual and see what I can find. But looks like I'll have to face the
    reality that the Slot 1's just not gonna be used at all.

    Steve Lee, Nov 11, 2003
  5. Not all graphics cards play nice in terms of IRQ sharing. Various ATIs
    gave little trouble here, but Nvidia stuff is supposedly more picky. If
    you've got an IRQ sharing friendly AGP card, try the NIC in slot #1.

    BTW: XP does not seem to be running in ACPI mode - old BIOS?

    Stephan

    Stephan Grossklass, Nov 11, 2003
  6. Steve Lee

    Steve Lee Guest

    I don't think so. I know I updated my BIOS to the latest one,
    1014.003 or something like that, I believe. Just in case, where can I
    go to get the latest BIOS for my mobo? Thanks.

    Steve Lee, Nov 11, 2003