    Replicatior II (PA3082E-2PRP). My query is that will the Firewire port on
    the replicator work even though my laptop does not have firewire builtin?

    Thanks in advance.

    anjam, Jul 16, 2003

  2. :> I have a Toshiba Sat Pro 6100 laptop and am looking to get a Advance Port
    :>Replicatior II (PA3082E-2PRP). My query is that will the Firewire port on
    :>the replicator work even though my laptop does not have firewire builtin?
    :>
    :>Thanks in advance.
    :>

    To the best of my knowledge all ports on the replicator should work with your
    computer. My experience in dealing with Toshiba computers since around 1994 is
    that any port on a port rep will function correctly on any computer designed to
    use that particular port rep. We don't see very many port reps come in to our
    shop for service and since Toshiba doesn't consider them field repairable they
    just replace them with a new/refurbished unit and we just ship the bad one back.
    It seems like the highest failure rate with the port reps we see seems to be the
    NIC if it has one. Second highest seems to be CDROM or DVD drives on ones so
    equipped.

    OscarT

    Oscar T Grouch, Jul 16, 2003

  3. anjam

    John Yuen Guest

    As the name port replicator implies, it only replicate function from the
    laptop so if your laptop does not support firewire internally, than you are
    out of luck.

    Regards
    John Yuen

    John Yuen, Jul 16, 2003
  4. anjam

    danco Guest

    Generally (but not always), "port replicators" only replicate ports that your
    laptop already has. "Docking stations" on the other hand generally provide
    ports above and beyond what the attached laptop has.

    - Dan

    danco, Jul 17, 2003
  5. anjam

    anjam Guest

    Thanks to all that answered. Can anyone advise a decent PCMCIA Firewire
    card that will work well for DV editing ?

    Cheers again.

    anjam, Jul 17, 2003
  6. anjam

    John Yuen Guest

    Pretty much any will do. I would avoid the ones with a tongle as the
    connector tends to be easily broken.

    Regards
    John Yuen

    John Yuen, Jul 17, 2003
  7. On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:18:45 GMT, wrote:

    :>
    :>> As the name port replicator implies, it only replicate function from the
    :>> laptop so if your laptop does not support firewire internally, than you are
    :>> out of luck.
    :>
    :>Generally (but not always), "port replicators" only replicate ports that your
    :>laptop already has. "Docking stations" on the other hand generally provide
    :>ports above and beyond what the attached laptop has.
    :>
    :>- Dan

    On every Toswhiba port replicator I've seen in the last almost 10 years every
    port on it worked with any laptop the replicator was designed for regardless of
    what ports are actually on the computer. In some cases this was the only way to
    get a NIC, dual PS/2 ports, CD or DVD drive, PCCARD slot(s), parallel and serial
    ports, USB port(s), firewire port, DVI, etc. As for the original posters
    reference to the Advanced Port Replicator II and the Satellite Pro 6100 I've
    seen that combination in our shop and the firewire port showed up in device
    manager and as a 1394 Connection in Network Connections. Another nice feature
    of that particular port rep is that it supports either analog or digital video
    output even though any computer hooked up to it only supports analog video
    output. The customer that brought in the 6100 and the Adv Port Rep II also
    brought in a 19" Mitsubishi Digital LCD flat panel monitor. It looked so good
    hooked up to his 6100 I almost didn't want to give it back (heh heh). I wanted
    to take it home and hook it up to the digital port on my Radeon 9700 Pro on my
    gaming rig.

    OscarT

    Oscar T Grouch, Jul 18, 2003