Firewire woes: Canon MVX3i and FW800 hd on Powerbook

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Marc Heusser, Dec 25, 2005.

  1. Marc Heusser

    Marc Heusser Guest

    I can connect successfully EITHER a FW800 harddisk (LaCie d2) OR my new
    Canon MVX3i camcorder to my new 17"PB FW800/FW400 port respectively.
    If both are connected (hd to FW800, camcorder to FW400), either one or
    the other does not work (cannot double click hd to show its contents,
    iMovie and Final Cut Express do not recognize the camera).

    When I connect the camcorder, in System Profiler it shows up as follows:
    FireWire Bus:

    Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

    MVX3i:

    Manufacturer: Canon
    Model: 0xE
    GUID: 0x850000804B8D
    Maximum Speed: Up to 100 Mb/sec
    Connection Speed: Unknown
    Sub-units:
    MVX3i Unit:
    Unit Software Version: 0x10001
    Unit Spec ID: 0xA02D

    How do I get it to work reliably with the external disk?
    Do other camcorders have the same 100 Mb/sec limitation, and is this the
    source of the problem?
    Any pointers and help highly welcome, as it is most annoying (first
    capturing to internal hd of the pb, then copy to external disk to edit).

    TIA

    Marc

    Marc Heusser, Dec 25, 2005

  2. Marc Heusser

    Király Guest

    I'm not sure if this is much help to you, but my Canon ZR40 camcorder
    doesn't like other FW devices. I cannot import any clips at all when my
    FW drive is connected. This is a pain because I keep all of my working
    iMovies on the FW drive! So I have to disconnect the drive, create a
    temporary project on the internal boot volume, import, shut camera off,
    reconnect FW drive, and copy the clips over. Yes it is a PITA but it
    works.

    K.

    Király, Dec 26, 2005