First Timer - Can't get Win Xp Pro to Load - Blue Screens; Where to go from here???

Discussion in 'MSI' started by thksnow, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. thksnow

    thksnow Guest

    This is my first build, and I have the following hardware:

    Athlon64 939 3000+ Processor
    MSI K8N-Neo2 Platinum Motherboard
    Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 (512X2)
    Hitachi 160GB 7k250 SATA Hard Drive
    ATI 9600XT AIW Video Card
    Plextor 716A 16X Dual Layer CD/DVD
    Antec True430 PSU (+12V: 26A; +5V: 36A)
    Cooler Master Praetorian Case (Silver)

    After putting it together, I observed the CPU temps in the BIOS for a
    while (my concerns, now gone, are documented in another thread), and
    never noticed any other problems. I partitioned the hard drive using
    Partition Commander, from the CD.

    Last night was the first time I tried to load Windows Xp Pro (have used
    98SE up until now), and it did not go well. Although I had loaded the
    Partition Commander S/W a number of times via the CD ROM drive, the
    first time I tried to load Win Xp, it wouldn't boot up from the CD
    ROM drive. I had to try it a few times before it started (even though
    the CD ROM was set to first priority for booting in BIOS). Once
    started, when it was in the middle of loading files (not far into the
    entire process), I started getting errors with wording something like
    "Couldn't load file XYZ, hit enter to retry, or cancel...".
    After hitting Enter a few dozen times, it made it through that part of
    the process, but then later, I started getting blue error screens
    reading "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down
    to prevent damage ..." I rebooted and the installation resumed, but
    every time but one (I must have tried it six times) I ended up at a
    blue error screen before it finished. At the bottom of these screens,
    there was always a line that read (but not always the same numbers):
    "*** STOP 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x804EAAB4, 0xEE7A8C80,
    0x00000000)". One time, there was also, after the first para on the
    screen the line "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". Another time, it
    made it to the final (I think) "Saving Settings" part of the
    process, showing 5 mins left to go, and just hung.

    Can someone help me figure out what these errors mean? I'm at a loss
    as to what to do next, and of course really want to get this thing up
    and running. I read another similar thread where people suggested the
    PSU was insufficient (he was using a 300W PSU), but I don't think
    that is the issue here.

    Thanks in advance for your help....Thksnow

    thksnow, Feb 28, 2005

  2. thksnow

    Michael Paul Guest

    Am 28 Feb 2005 09:38:35 -0800 schrieb :
    Hi,
    Why that? Your XP CD has a partitioning tool built in.
    Maybe your CD is damaged. Or the tool you have used to partition your HDD
    creates a somehow incompatible format.

    [broken Win install followed by bluescreen]
    A totally broken installation, maybe induced by bad CD or HDD. Did you
    install the drivers for your SATA-controller when prompted to?

    Just retry from scratch. Let windows setup repartition your HDD (delete the
    existing ones, then create new partitions. Or create only one partition
    large enough for your windows, and do the rest after your system is
    properly installed)

    hth,
    Michael

    Michael Paul, Feb 28, 2005

  3. thksnow

    thksnow Guest

    Michael -

    I used the above software since I thought it would make it easier.
    I've never installed Xp before, and thought creating a number of
    partitions would be easier this way. I didn't think it could do any
    harm. I'll try it again after deleting the existing Xp partition and
    let Xp set up the partition.

    Regarding the SATA drivers, it never asked me for any during the
    install process. I gather it should have. What should I do if it
    doesn't the next time? It never asked me for any drivers during the
    process I almost completed yesterday.

    Tks...Thksnow

    thksnow, Feb 28, 2005
  4. thksnow

    dino Guest

    as soon as XP starts from CD rom you should see" Hit F6 to load drivers" (or
    something like that)...then later it will prompt you to specify drivers if
    it is unsure....you need to have the SATA drivers on a floppy disc...your CD
    that came with the board has the drivers...transfer them to a floppy.

    dino, Feb 28, 2005
  5. thksnow

    Al Santino Guest

    If you search the Microsoft website you'll find an article entitled
    "STOP 0x0000008e" Error Message During Windows XP Setup
    It implies you may have a bad memory module.

    Al Santino, Mar 1, 2005
  6. thksnow

    mmm Guest

    Please see if the following link to Jim Eshelman's web site helps - left
    hand column(8E)

    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    "STOP 0x0000008e" error message during Windows XP setup
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315335&sd=RMVP

    mmm, Mar 1, 2005
  7. thksnow

    thksnow Guest

    As discussed in some of the links you folks were kind enough to post,
    someone else recommended I remove one of the memory modules and then
    try to install Xp again. I tried it last night, after reformatting the
    partition, and the install went completely thru without a hitch the
    first time!! I'm not sure why this works, but I wonder if it means
    there could be something wrong with one of my memory modules, or is it
    just a quirk when installing Xp? I reinstalled the 2nd stick, and so
    far, so good, but I haven't done anything other than look around at Xp
    settings. Tonight I plan to run Memtest86 to see if that turns up any
    errors. By the way, does anyone know how you tell if it's truly
    operating as "Dual Channel"?

    Regarding the driver install, I have Xp Pro w/SP2 incorportated, and it
    never asked me for drivers. I did install the NVidia drivers from the
    CD that came with my motherboard last night, and also found a floppy
    that came with the motherboard that has SATA/Raid drivers on it. I
    plan to install those tonight.

    Thanks to everyone for their help!

    Thksnow

    thksnow, Mar 1, 2005
  8. thksnow

    mmm Guest

    Why didn't you install the SATA/Raid drivers during your XP install, there
    was an option to do this at the beginning of the install? You should have
    pressed F6.

    mmm, Mar 1, 2005
  9. thksnow

    thksnow Guest

    Julie -

    I never saw any option to install drivers during the process. Since
    I'm using Xp Pro w/SP2 incorporated, some folks have told me that it
    doesn't require you to load SATA drivers any more.

    Thksnow

    thksnow, Mar 2, 2005