Fixing Auto Save, Versions, and Save As

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Király, Aug 27, 2012.

  1. Király

    Király Guest

    There was a monster thread a week ago where people were lamenting about
    auto save, versions, and how the return of Save As in 10.8 disappoints
    by not working as it used to. I just thought I'd share these fixes for
    anyone who is interested.

    Globally disable Auto Save, Versions, and correct the behaviour of Save
    As, so that it doesn't save changes to the original document:

    defaults write -g ApplePersistence -bool no

    Additional step required for TextEdit:

    defaults write -app textedit AutosavingDelay -int 0

    Additional couple of steps to bring back the traditional Command-Shift-S
    keyboard shortcut to Save As, and restore Save As to the File menu
    without having to use the option key to make it visible:

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/cqaw3yt

    Welcome home to Mac!

    Király, Aug 27, 2012

  2. Király

    Wes Groleau Guest

    !!! OOPS !!! Where that says
    It should actually say
    Also, note that even though you get "Save As…" on your menu again, it is
    *_NOT_* the same thing! It puts the changes in the original file AND in
    the new file.

    That is STUPID !! WHAT are they smoking out there?

    http://bit.ly/NZoDWg

    --
    Wes Groleau

    From the cowardice that shrinks from new truth,
    From the laziness that is content with half-truths,
    From the arrogance that thinks it knows all truth,
    O God of Truth, deliver us.
    --Leslie Dixon Weatherhead
    --Rabbi Mordechai M. Kaplan
    --ancient prayer
    --unknown
    --(no attempt at attribution)
    (a thousand thanks to someone who can tell me who
    really wrote it AND persuade me they're not making it up!)

    Wes Groleau, Aug 29, 2012

  3. Király

    Király Guest

    That's Apple's doing. But if you enter *all* the commands in my original
    post, it fixes Save As's behaviour to the way it has always worked.

    Király, Aug 29, 2012