Fixing up Gateway 300S

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Schwinn555, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Schwinn555

Schwinn555

Friend gave me their old not working 300S machine. Trouble shooting found the power supply to be dead. So I picked up a new power supply @ Fry's and a new Hard drive as the old one was missing. The Win XP Home CD is cracked so I also got a copy of Win XP PRO over kill but the price was right. Machine seems fine & install went fine. This machine has the Intel 845 GL chip set and onboard graphics. Ok the problems are no driver was installed for the onboard intel Ethernet so no DSL. It is also using VGASave Non-Plug & play driver adapter for Default Monitor. It will only do 4 bit color @ 640x480. This is a nice Sony Monitor that runs great with Win XP drivers on another machine. There is no way of changing the driver in Display Properties nor anywhere else I can see.
    Does this machine require drivers for the ethernet & monitor that don't come with Win XP Pro? If so I'm surprised since it's a 3 year old machine. gateway support for my serial number does show Intel drivers for this machines Chipset , Network port, graphics, USB2.0, and Bios a few months newer then what came on the machine. I downloaded on another machine and put on CD to transfer. Drivers don't seem straight forward to install.Bios not sure I should mess with that though i've have with no issues before when needed. I would expect Win XP to have all the needed intel drivers ??It does for my other older machines. Any help or ideas? thanks.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
    Schwinn555, Jan 3, 2007
Ask a Question