Flaky displayport on Macbook Air

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Sandman, May 4, 2013.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    My Macbook Air is acting up...

    I have an iMac which I've used as a displayport monitor in the past
    with a Macbook Pro, and decided I'd do it again now with my Macbook
    Air (4,2 - mid 2011) which has a thunderbolt connector. My iMac only
    has a displayport connector.

    I've managed to make it work a couple of times, but most of the times,
    it doesn't. I hit cmd-F2 and the iMac screen blanks out but then comes
    back to the iMac screen again. I've tried restarting both machines,
    running lid open and lid closed (when I do get it working with lid
    open, there is a lot of flickering).

    This reminds me of a problem I had with my Windows PC a long time ago,
    where it worked after I switched cables. So I tried another cable but
    it's the same thing.

    I tried to connect the Macbook Air to my Dell monitor as well, but it
    didn't work any better. Manage to get dual monitor image once, but
    then I lost it.

    The cables I use are Deltacos and some non-branded ones. Do I need to
    get Apple cables? I know that these cables worked flawlessly with my
    Macbook Pro on both the iMac and the Dell monitor a year ago.

    Any ideas?

    Sandman, May 4, 2013

  2. Take it into the Apple Store Genius Bar. They'll have "known good
    cables" and a monitor they can try this out with. Then they'll be abe
    to tell you if your logic board needs replacement or not. If it's out
    of AppleCare, then it's your call on if you want this fixed or not.

    Michael Vilain, May 5, 2013

  3. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    Yeah, perhaps I should try that. Thanks