    user information. I've also read that Safari 6 is the best browser for
    Mountain Lion.

    Is there any reason to keep Google Chrome?

    j Burns, Dec 17, 2012

  2. I installed that version of Flash Player after reading your posting, and it
    did not install Chrome; all it installed was Flash Player.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 17, 2012

  3. j Burns

    JF Mezei Guest

    Flash comes from Adobe.
    Chrome comes from Google.

    Doubtful that Adobe would help Google distrbute its browser.

    However, Google Chrome can be installed when you install google earth.
    Google appeared in front of a canadian parliementary committee not long
    abot (ETHI) about privacy. They have taken steps to help with privacy
    by adding a flag in HTTP requests "do not track me". But it is up to the
    individual web site to honour this header field and the info is still
    sent to them.

    JF Mezei, Dec 17, 2012
  4. j Burns

    j Burns Guest

    It hasn't happened to me with past updates. A message popped up telling
    me I should update. Rather than trust the message, I went to the Adobe
    site. The url said http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

    When I clicked Install, two progress windows opened. Chrome took a lot
    longer.

    j Burns, Dec 17, 2012
  5. j Burns

    sbt Guest

    I didn't experience a Chrome install when updating Flash Player;
    however, if you participate in online Flash-based games (such as using
    Bridge Base Online), you'll find Chrome or Firefox a significant
    improvement as Safari periodically loses connection to USB devices such
    as the keyboard or mouse when used on such sites...I don't know whether
    the same is true with BlueTooth devices as I use a full-size keyboard
    with numeric keypad rather than that undersized wireless PoS and a
    trackball rather than a mouse or trackpad.

    sbt, Dec 17, 2012
  6. j Burns

    j Burns Guest

    I've read that the installer creates a unique token, and every time you
    use the Google search engine, it sends an RLZ telling, among other
    things, how you downloaded it and when it was installed. If Google got
    Adobe to bundle Chrome for even an hour, Google could glean information
    about how many of these downloads were actually used.

    j Burns, Dec 17, 2012
  7. j Burns

    j Burns Guest

    That's curious. Is that Safari 6?

    j Burns, Dec 17, 2012
  8. It hasn't happened to me with past updates. A message popped up telling
    me I should update. Rather than trust the message, I went to the Adobe
    site. The url said http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

    When I clicked Install, two progress windows opened. Chrome took a lot
    longer.[/QUOTE]

    That's the same site I went to; only one download and only one progress
    window.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 17, 2012
  9. That's the same site I went to; only one download and only one progress
    window.[/QUOTE]

    It seems very unlikely that installing Flash Player would have anything
    to do with Chrome. Chrome doesn't even use the Flash Player you
    download from Adobe, it has its own Flash Player built into it (to
    update its Flash Player, you have to update Chrome).

    Barry Margolin, Dec 17, 2012
  10. j Burns

    sbt Guest

    Yes, on an iMac under Lion and a MacBook Pro under Mountain Lion. Also
    with Safari 5 on my old dual G5 under Leopard. On the first two, I use
    Chrome for bridge, on the dual G5 I run an out-of-date version of
    Firefox.

    sbt, Dec 17, 2012
  11. j Burns

    j Burns Guest

    The installer reported to Google when it installed Chrome. It will
    report to Google the first time I use Chrome and every time I use the
    Google search engine with Chrome. Piggybacking Chrome on a few Flash
    Player downloads may be marketing research, to see how many of us will
    use Chrome. I'm not going to use a browser that was put on my disk
    without my permission. It's going into the trash.

    Microsoft did something like that with Silverlite a few years ago. It
    came bundled with an update for something that wasn't even a Microsoft
    product. There was something about it in comp.sys.mac.system, but I
    can't find it in Google Groups.

    j Burns, Dec 17, 2012
  12. j Burns

    j Burns Guest

    Here's something Alan Browne posted here on October 8, 2010:

    *********

    Reviewing my manifest of software in the light of recent issues, I
    noticed an alias to Silverlight (Microsoft) in my Apps directory.
    Flumoxed!
    I then found that the date and time of the file matched when I last
    updated Flip4Mac. A google search confirmed that Flip4Mac update
    installed it (and buried the fact in the install procedure).
    I've studiously avoided installing Silverlight on my PC's ... and now MS
    manages to smuggle it onto my Mac using the rubes at Telestream
    (Flip4Mac) ...

    *********

    j Burns, Dec 17, 2012
  13. Here's something Alan Browne posted here on October 8, 2010:

    *********

    Reviewing my manifest of software in the light of recent issues, I
    noticed an alias to Silverlight (Microsoft) in my Apps directory.
    Flumoxed! I then found that the date and time of the file matched when I
    last updated Flip4Mac. A google search confirmed that Flip4Mac update
    installed it (and buried the fact in the install procedure). I've
    studiously avoided installing Silverlight on my PC's ... and now MS
    manages to smuggle it onto my Mac using the rubes at Telestream
    (Flip4Mac) ...

    *********[/QUOTE]

    I don't remember how it was back then, but now when you open the Flip4Mac
    dmg, there are two installers, one for F4M and one for Silverlight.

    Michelle Steiner, Dec 17, 2012
  14. j Burns

    Wes Groleau Guest

    And yet it happened. To me as well. I get an update notice for flash
    about once a week on Win 7 at work.

    I OK it and it installs--usually.

    But on _one_ occasion recently, when I clicked OK, instead of installing
    as usual, it launched IE8 to the Adobe install page.

    Clicked install there, and it installed Flash and Chrome AND set Chrome
    to the default browser.

    Actually, I prefer Chrome to IE8, but the work environment demands IE8.

    Even if it didn't, I'd still be angry at Adobe for installing things
    without permission.

    Wes Groleau, Dec 17, 2012
  15. j Burns

    j Burns Guest

    I don't remember how it was back then, but now when you open the Flip4Mac
    dmg, there are two installers, one for F4M and one for Silverlight.
    [/QUOTE]
    You're right: Silverlight.

    I opened the F4M dmg and started the installation routine. At some
    point I saw that it was going to install Silverlight, too. It would
    have been easy to miss. I didn't see any way to avoid it, so I canceled.

    I opened the dmg again, looking step by step for a way to choose what to
    install. Again, I gave up and canceled. Later, I learned that there was
    a way to do a custom installation, but it wasn't obvious.

    When I installed Chrome with Flash Player, I saw two Flash Player icons.
    I believe they were in the left pane if a finder window, as if I had
    two Flash Player dmgs mounted. The first one disappeared when Flash
    Player was installed. The second disappeared when Chrome was installed.
    So Chrome was installed using a Flash Player icon.

    j Burns, Dec 17, 2012
  16. Barry Margolin, Dec 17, 2012
  17. j Burns

    Wes Groleau Guest

    If it hadn't been for the Skype connection, I would have suggested that
    Adobe doesn't want to admit that THEY killed flash and is trying to make
    it look like it's Google's fault that we are boycotting Flash.

    :)

    Wes Groleau, Dec 17, 2012