    functions if I unplug the AC adapter (which is providing +16VDC according to
    my Fluke multimeter). Any ideas as to what this means? Thanks bunches...

    Dave

    Dave, Oct 12, 2012

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Okay, maybe nevermind. Shut down, removed/replaced battery, everything
    seems normal now. Poor connection? Maybe a little Deoxit is called for,
    but I'll wait and see. Anyway, thanks for reading...

    Dave

    Dave, Oct 13, 2012

  3. My R51 does weird stuff with the battery, though as the 'puter is 7 years
    old tomorrow, and the battery is original, it's probably toast at this
    point. But, I noticed that it would charge okay for a while on the regular
    brick, but when it would start acting flaky, and the remove/replace battery
    thing didn't work, I could stick it on the docking station, which uses a
    different brick, and it would straighten right out for a while. Got a
    Mini-Dock II? :)

    Tom Rutherford, Oct 13, 2012
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hey Tom, thanks for the reply. It worked fine for a couple days, then the
    battery light went orange again after I used it (off of the battery, not
    plugged into the power brick) solid for three or four hours. Recharging it
    and letting it sit overnight sets it straight again. Don't have a Mini-Dock,
    but I do have a second power brick, which I might swap out if this keeps up.

    Funny thing is it works fine when this happens, it just doesn't *look*
    right. Guess it's nothing to actually worry about at this point...

    Take it easy,

    Dave

    Dave, Oct 19, 2012
  5. Yeah, sounds like the original brick might be failing slightly, or might be
    marginal, anyway. If you have a VOM, you might think about testing the
    output voltages, both open and loaded, if you can get to the contacts under
    load.
    You, too, Dave.

    Tom Rutherford, Oct 20, 2012