    I'm building a router, and want to know how big an image my
    TX97 can boot.
    TIA

    Shadow, Feb 16, 2008

  2. Shadow

    daytripper Guest

    An antique like that almost certainly does not support cdrom or fdd boot
    images greater than 1440...

    cheers

    /daytripper

    daytripper, Feb 16, 2008

  3. Shadow

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Does not work that way, since a CDROM bootsector is 2048 bytes,
    while a floppy bootsector is 512 bytes. They are fundamentally
    incompatible.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Feb 17, 2008
  4. Shadow

    Mick Sitton Guest

    Mick Sitton, Feb 17, 2008
  5. Shadow

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Arno Wagner, Feb 17, 2008
  6. Shadow

    Anssi Saari Guest

    Considering ED floppy drives are from the early nineties
    (http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk says 1991), so why
    wouldn't a TX97 have support for those in the BIOS?

    I'm almost certain I installed Linux on my old system with Asus T2P4
    motherboard, by just putting a 2.88 boot floppy image on a CD. The
    rest of the installation was downloaded from the net.

    To the original poster, I'd go ahead and try the 2880 bootdisk image.

    Anssi Saari, Feb 18, 2008
  7. Shadow

    Shadow Guest

    As a follow up, I built a 1680 floppy, made it bootable with
    syslinux. tested it, when I was sure it was working, wrote the files
    to a iso file using mkisofs/isolinux bootloader.
    I had trouble with 1722 floppies, lots of bad sectors, not
    always though .... bad floppy drive ?
    []'s
    Resume , always boots 1.44 and 1.68, and sometimes 1.72. No
    2.88 drive here to test, and I can't figure out how to make a 2.88
    image bootable without the hardware to write it to a disk, though it
    IS possible (but too complicated for me) according to Google.

    Shadow, Feb 19, 2008
  8. Shadow

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Not necessarily. Maybe just operation grossly out of spec.

    Arno

    [/QUOTE]

    Arno Wagner, Feb 19, 2008