Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by JP, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. JP

    JP Guest

    Hello

    I'm having this problem when I boot everytime. I just build
    a system with A7N8X DELUXE rev2.0. After searching in google, lots
    of people had this problem before (with various mobos), and
    generally is resolved with changing the direction of the cable.
    Well, not with me. Tried both ways, still gives me the same
    message. With another floppy and another cable, the exact same
    thing. Also, when booting up if I press [TAB] to show POST screen
    sometimes it also appears the following message "Secondary IDE
    Channel no 80 conductor cable installed". In the secondary IDE channel
    I have a DVD-RW and a DVD-ROM. By the way, the rest of my config:
    AMD 2600 barton
    Kingston 2x256MB PC3200
    Asus 9600XT
    Maxtor 120GB SATA.
    I don't have anything on the primary IDE channel.

    Any ideas how can I install windows xp without a floppy? Or a way
    to resolve this problem. Should I change the motherboard?

    TIA for any help.

    JP, Jan 7, 2004

  2. If it's not your floppy drive cable then there is a good chance the power cable to the drive is damaged ( or
    you forgot to connect it. ) For the issue about the POST screen coming up with "Secondary IDE Channel no 80
    conductor cable installed", try loading the Default Settings in the BIOS and saving them.

    Tony.

    --
    3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

    To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

    The Black Wibble, Jan 8, 2004

  3. JP

    KB Guest

    You need an 80 conductor IDE cable(ATA66/133)

    KB, Jan 8, 2004
  4. DVD drives require an 80 pin cable?

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Jan 8, 2004
  5. JP

    KB Guest

    Some DVD drives, CDRW and CDROM drives are ATA66 and not ATA33 and so using
    80 pin IDE cables is a good idea.
    My DVD drive is ATA66, my CDRW is ATA33 and by fitting an 80 pin cable they
    show correctly.
    I had that message on my first board that had ATA66/133 IDE support and when
    I changed both IDE cables to ATA66/133 the problem went away.
    I build and service pc's and fit ATA66/133 80 pin cables as standard and
    never get the same problem anymore.

    KB, Jan 8, 2004
  6. JP

    KB Guest

    When you change your IDE cable to 80 pin(if you are not using the one that
    comes with the board(Black, gray, blue connectors)unpplug that one and plug
    it into the IDE2 connector on the board.
    Black to master, gray to slave, blue or other color to IDE2.
    Then your DVD and DVD RW will work(enabled in bios?),and so you can boot
    from CD to install Windows(CDrom first boot device)

    KB, Jan 8, 2004
  7. JP

    KB Guest

    Your Pioneer DVD drive is ATA66/UDMA66

    ATAPI (ATA/ATAPI-5, Ultra DMA66)

    KB, Jan 8, 2004
  8. JP

    KB Guest

    Read the reply I posted(When you change your IDE cable to 80 pin(if you are
    not using the one that
    comes with the board)should have relied to your post but slipped and replied
    to the other person.

    KB, Jan 8, 2004
  9. JP

    KB Guest

    When you replace the IDE cable with an 80 pin one then you DVD-RW & DVD
    drives should work and then you can boot from windows XP CD to install.
    You don't use a floppy for that anyway, all Windows Install CD's (XP)are
    self booting.
    A lot of CD-RW & DVD frives are ATA66/UDMA66 and need the right cable.

    KB, Jan 8, 2004
  10. Kewl. That's something else I've learned today.

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Jan 8, 2004
  11. JP

    JP Guest

    Thanks a lot, it worked. Ive connected the 80 conductor cable for
    the DVD-RW and the DVD-ROM in the Primary IDE channel, and it stopped
    reporting the error. And the floppy started working too! The floppy is needed
    to install the Sil3112 drivers for Windows XP. The thing is in the
    installation of XP it gave me several warnings saying that the Sil3112
    controller has not passed Windows logo testing to verify its compatibility
    with windows xp. I wonder if anyone had the same warning when installing xp
    in a SATA drive (BTW its the ver.1.0.0.22 of Si3112 that came with the
    motherboard)

    Anyway, I kept clicking and windows xp is already installed. And im posting
    from my new system! :)

    But now another problem has appeared. Windows isnt recognizing my graphics
    card and my monitor. The Device Manager doesnt have any entry for Display
    Adapter and for Monitor. So can someone give me some hints how to get both in
    the DM for installing the drivers...?

    JP

    JP, Jan 8, 2004
  12. JP

    gw Guest

    I received the same warning message, but hey, what is one to do but accept.
    Have had no problems.

    gw

    gw, Jan 8, 2004
  13. Did you first install the chipset drivers for your motherboard?

    Tony.

    The Black Wibble, Jan 8, 2004
  14. JP

    KB Guest

    What card is it?
    Install Nforce drivers(there are no Asus ones),reboot.................
    Monitor needs no drivers as it is plug and play.

    KB, Jan 8, 2004