FN41 Booting Problems

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Hawkeye, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. Hawkeye

    Hawkeye Guest

    Hi Guys,

    Just put my system together with a 120GB MaxHD and a Samsung DVD ROM
    Drive
    Athalon 2400 (266) + 512MB

    This booted first time and got as far as the XP setup menu page.
    Then the keyboard locked, forcing me to re-boot.

    The reboot got past the Memory check and then switched off!

    Now when I press the On button, the HD light flashes once and the fans
    start and stop very quickly. No power light though!

    Basically the machine is pretty much dead!

    I am not an inexperienced user as I have built serveral PC's in the
    past where I had to set CPU jumpers etc.

    The shuttle seems like a brilliant little unit to assemble - just that
    mine does not seem to work!

    Anyone got any ideas before I call my supplier?

    Hawkeye, Sep 13, 2003

  2. Hawkeye

    Frank Hagan Guest

    The way it's shutting down so rapidly suggests CPU / heat issues. Remount
    the HSF, clean and reapply thermal paste and check to see the HSF fan is
    connected to the proper header.

    Frank Hagan

    Frank Hagan, Sep 13, 2003

  3. Hawkeye

    Cichlidiot Guest

    Is the red CPU overheat LED on? It's on the same side of the motherboard
    as the PSU by the front of the case near the mem slots. This is what my
    new SN41G2 was doing for weeks. I had reset the heat pipe assembly
    multiple times without success until I went and bought some better thermal
    compound (Arctic Silver III) and applied a bit more than the recommended
    amount for an AMD (closer to what they recommend for a P4 with heat
    spreader). Actually the first time I applied only the recommended AMD
    amount and it shut down as quickly as you're reporting. I went back and
    reapplied the thicker layer and now the machine runs at around 46C.

    Based on my experiences, I suspect there's a "rising rate" check that
    causes the CPU overheat shutdown condition in addition to an absolute
    temperature check. Every time my machine shut down that I was able to
    monitor in BIOS, it was only at 46C in the health monitor. However, the
    temperature was raising at a rapid rate and not going back down even when
    the fan sped up. I think this rapid rise in temperature was what triggered
    the shutdown before the CPU burned itself out.

    Cichlidiot, Sep 14, 2003
  4. Hawkeye

    Paul C Guest

    Make sure you removed the plastic film on the heatsink.

    Paul

    Paul C, Sep 14, 2003