Folow-up on booting from USB from a Dell 4600.

Discussion in 'Dell' started by mm, Dec 3, 2010.

  1. mm

    mm Guest

    Folow-up on booting from USB from a Dell 4600.

    Well, 1) it turns out we must have made a false assumption in a prior
    thread, because we reached a wrong conclusion, which might apply to
    other models as well.

    It turns out you can boot from the USB on the Dimension 4600.

    For reasons below**, I ended up looking further into the manual, to
    System Setup, page 105, Boot Sequence, Option Setting, USB Flash
    Device.

    In short, if the flashdrive etc. is PLUGGED IN when you boot, and
    press f12, "The Bios detects the device and adds the USB flash option
    to the boot menu". And indeed it does, and when I chose it, it tried
    to boot from the USB, but failed with an error message because I have
    nothing bootable in it. (This will be useful for me. It means I can
    backup to a USB external drive, and the boot fully from the ext. drive
    if the internal drive fails etc.)

    So I F2'd into the BIOS to see if I could change it permantently as
    long as the flash drive was plugged in, but that didn't work.

    2) Interestingly, about Diskette Drive, the manual says, "If the
    floppy disk in the drive is not bootable, or if no floppy disk is in
    drive, the computer generates an error message." Of course the
    second half of that isnt' true, even if the Diskette Drive is first in
    boot order.

    **3) I was reading System Setup because the half page before booting
    from USB on page 26, "Hyper-threading" sent me there for more info
    about hyperthreading. AGAIN, (well, it was right the first time, but
    not this time I think) the manual makes it sound like for sure the
    computer has this capability. On Page 27, it says, "You can enable or
    disable Hyper-Threading through System Setup. For mroe information on
    System Setup see page 103. For more information on Hyper-threading,
    search the knowledge base on the Dell Support Website at
    support.dell.com."

    At System Setup, there is nothing about hyper-threading.

    And I know it's been 7 years since the manual was written, and I
    wouldn't be too surprised if the website weren't called
    support.dell.com, or if there were barely anything about
    hyper-threading, but I can't find the knowledge base at all!!!

    Googling, I foudn that for the Dell 4550, 50 lower than my 4600, the
    default for Hyper-threading is on. For others the default is OFF, but
    for mine it is neither. I've checked and there is only one
    occurrence of the CPU in Device Manager, so AFAICT, it's not possible,
    despite the manual. ;-)

    mm, Dec 3, 2010

  2. mm

    Bob Villa Guest

    Thanks for the info...I have a 4550. (I will check the USB booting
    also)

    Bob Villa, Dec 3, 2010

  3. mm

    mm Guest

    I think I have the number right. I googled on hyperthreading Dell
    or something close to that, and got the same page for several models.
    For some the default was on and for others, off.

    I think the page for the 4600 said the default was OFF, but afaict, i
    have neither off nor on nor a default. Still, I don't want to jump
    to conclusions like aobut USB booting.

    mm, Dec 3, 2010
  4. mm

    Ben Myers Guest

    I have not tinkered with a 4600 lately, but, like other models
    (8300,8400,Precision 370, Optiplex GX270) from the same epoch,
    hyperthreading should be a BIOS setting. However, you get the
    hyperthreading option (on or off) in the CPU sub-menu ONLY if the CPU
    installed is capable of hyperthreading. If the CPU cannot hyperthread,
    no option is present. The BIOS default is usually hyperthreading off.

    Intel began hyperthreading with its later 533MHz and 800MHz front-side
    bus Socket 478 CPUs. But not all of the ones operating at these FSB
    speeds can hyperthread... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Dec 3, 2010
  5. mm

    mm Guest

    It seems I was still incomplete. In one of the options in the BIOS
    screen, listed before Boot Sequence, called something like Fixed
    Drives, it lists two choices, fixed drives like the SATA or IDE
    drives, and USB drives. I haven't changed the order yet, or tried
    changing anything there

    Of course I went through all the BIOS options when I first got the
    computer, but I wasn't thinking about USB booting then and didn't make
    much note of this.

    mm, Dec 13, 2010