    once as "font" and once as "font CE". What's the story behind this? (OS
    10.2.8)

    Stefan

    Stefan, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Stefan

    Alice Faber Guest

    You've enabled something about Central European input (perhaps a Polish
    or Estonian keyboard). The CE fonts are the ones that have easy mappings
    for the characters that appear in those orthographies and not in the
    various western/Roman alphabets (English, French, etc.).

    Alice Faber, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Stefan

    Stefan Guest

    German and Arabic, to be precise. Not exactly Central Europe...
    I thought with the upcoming of Unicode there's one and only one font for
    "all" script systems? So what's the deal? I've noticed that the fonts
    concerned are all of the type ".dfont" and they appear twice only in
    programs that have a "traditional" font menue.

    Stefan

    Stefan, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Stefan

    Alice Faber Guest

    Arrgggh. I just looked in Word, which seems a prime suspect here.
    Indeed, I do have CE *and* CY (Cyrillic) fonts at the end of the font
    list, as well as fonts that seem to be for a variety of other languages
    like Thai. The only alternative keyboards I've enabled are Arabic and
    Persian (I don't know why I don't have Hebrew active on this system).
    And the CE and CY fonts show up even when I disable these.

    Word.X doesn't understand Unicode. When I open Mellel, which does, I
    don't see the CE fonts, but I do still see the CY fonts.

    Alice Faber, Nov 16, 2003
  5. Stefan

    Stefan Guest

    Not only Word. FileMaker 5 and Photoshop 7 are both the same. Both are
    carbonized applications rather than cocoa ones. Maybe this is the clue.
    Mellel works fine here. So does Text Edit, not too important, but
    interesting as a reference.

    I'm hoping that it's just the apps that don't behave yet, and that it
    will be ironed out. If so, I can live with it.

    Stefan

    Stefan, Nov 16, 2003
  6. Stefan

    Simon Slavin Guest

    It is. But you have fonts installed for backward compatibility.
    Probably for Classic support.

    Simon Slavin, Nov 19, 2003