Font Book Oddity

Discussion in 'Apple' started by TaliesinSoft, Mar 19, 2008.

  1. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I'm running OS X 10.5.2, and am experiencing what I've dubbed a "font oddity"
    with the included Font Book font manager.

    I have a single administrator account and several user accounts.

    All of my fonts, other than the system fonts, are kept in sub-folders within
    a Fonts folder in the Shared users folder

    Within the above mentioned Fonts folder are folders containing all of the
    fonts supplied by a given source such as Adobe, Microsoft, and Apple.

    Within a given source folder, such as Adobe, all of the faces of a given font
    are in a font specific folder. For instance the Adobe font Arno Pro has its
    own folder, named Arno Pro, which contains 32 .otf font files.

    Each of the source folders are associated with a Font Book library in each of
    my accounts. As an example each account's Font Book has a library named Adobe
    and that library then points to the Adobe fonts folder within the Fonts
    folder within the Shared user folder.

    The oddity is that when I open Font Book from an account and then list the
    fonts in a given library the number of fonts shown may differ from account to
    account, the difference being in the range of one or two, that is, Font Book
    may show 84 fonts when queried from one account but 82 when queried from a
    different account.

    Hopefully I've explained the oddity, but I will be more than happy to
    elaborate if asked to do so.

    And, the underktubg question is why the font count sometimes differs from
    account to account.

    TaliesinSoft, Mar 19, 2008

  2. TaliesinSoft

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    In the several cases in several different accounts where the total fonts
    shown for a given library fell slightly short, I deleted that library and
    then recreated it and the count was now correct. Why this worked I do not
    know. Perhaps I was dealing with some sort of a cache gotcha.

    TaliesinSoft, Mar 19, 2008